Skin the cockpit

For those working on art content.

Skin the cockpit

Postby adamsderk » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:45 pm

Greetings,

I am in the process of putting in the code to allow the player to select their "skin" for their cockpit. The current layout is:

I have packaged up the four elements of the cockpit to use as a template. Each submission must be png files with transparency as in the template files. The file set can be named anything, but must be numbered 1-4 as in the template.

Please email me any submissions, do not post them on the forum (although you can show people what you are working on).

Zip Template File

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Stormwolf » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:01 pm

Very nice, now we're getting somewhere, I'll give this skin a go since it's far easier to make than a complete mech.
Stormwolf

Postby AndrewOsis1 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:24 pm

Derk good to see progress being made,the new interface for the cockpit looks alot cleaner.

Skins would be just that much better keep up the good work.

*crawls back into the darkness patiently awaiting demo10*
AndrewOsis1

Postby Faolan_Conall » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:06 am

Is it going to be possible to set it up so you can determine what you see based on the mech you're in? For example, the view from a Marauder would likely look markedly different from a Jenner, or from a Timberwolf.
Faolan_Conall

Postby adamsderk » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:12 pm

FC,

I'm not saying that it isn't possible, but I'm not planning to. There is still so much to be done and cockpit specialization isn't on the list.

I tried leaving the mesh visible to the player, but that created a whole set of problems (especially framerate). The way to do it would be to have an graphic that overlays the screen to give the cockpit feel. But that means a graphic for each of the 300+ Mechs and all the vehicles.

I'm not ready to put that kind of effort into it, especially with so much that still needs to be done.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Faolan_Conall » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:48 am

How about the Mech3/Flight Simulators/Battlefields "Virtual cockpit" style?

Modellers, or other artists, could come up with a half dozen, or more, cockpit styles, some for mechs, some vehicles, etc, that could be further modified by a few various skins.

It'd also give us a more "in the game" feeling, moving the view around, seeing the gauge and readouts that react to the mech/vehicle's involvement and atmosphere.
Faolan_Conall

Postby adamsderk » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:16 am

FC,

That is exactly the type I'm talking about. Although, I'm not planning on moving the displays around. Feel free to design "virtual cockpits." I'm not saying that it can't be done, just that I'm not going to do it.

If you or a group of you want to design the skins, I'll be happy to add them in.

The instrument panels would stay in the same locations, but you can replace the covers and add additional bars or whatever. Please use 1024x768 as your working size.

Mock something up and let me see it. That's what Punk did and we ended up with customizable skins.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Tylinol » Mon May 08, 2006 5:31 pm

Is it possible to resize cockpit images? I've got several mech cockpit
images that I modified from various flight sims, and I'm itching to give them a spin in BTS. The only problem is that there aren't any images I can replace in the game that will give me the effect I want.

First post here. About time I registered, I've been reading these forums since demo 7 was in development...
Tylinol

Postby adamsderk » Mon May 08, 2006 9:18 pm

Tylinol,

I answered your PM at MekTek. There isn't a system in place yet, because I haven't finalized the process to be used for the cockpit. You can email me one that you have and I'll look to get it in for everyone to play with.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Tylinol » Tue May 09, 2006 12:05 am

Here's a little mockup of a cockpit, it would fit many mechs like the Awesome or Jenner. I've got other base images for mechs like the Madcat, as well.

Ignore the remnants of the other hud at the top corners and the fact that
the speed indicators and reticule are behind the hud. And I could remove part of the bar blocking the field of view if neccessary.

I'd love to see a system where you write a little script telling all of the
hud elements where to go, what size they are, etc. and then the base cockpit overlay. This could allow for players to easily create their own cockpit schemes.
Tylinol

Postby adamsderk » Tue May 09, 2006 3:06 am

Tylinol,

Your cockpit image has potential except for the bar in the middle. Think of the pilot being off center, like a car.

Moving the hud elements around is not easy to do and it isn't worth it, to me, to put in the work to make it possible by script. Although, I could release the gui files (pre-compile) that would allow someone who wants to play with the gui elements to move them around. However, resizing them will break most of them.

If you make a version that lays behind the current displays and in front of the hud, I'll add the layer to allow it.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Punk » Tue May 09, 2006 3:57 am

Wow, looking nice Ty. Is that just a layered picture or is it something 3D?
0--}=----Punk-----*
House Marik[MPBT3025]
Punk

Postby Stormwolf » Tue May 09, 2006 9:02 am

Looks nice, but cockpits don't have to be 100% accurate, just imagine the poor saps that pilot mechs like the Gargoyle:

http://www.camospecs.com/MechList.asp?A ... tail&ID=54

Those guys won't see a thing :roll:
Stormwolf

Postby Faolan_Conall » Tue May 09, 2006 9:16 pm

Or the handful of 'mechs where the pilot has NO direct view of the outside, ie no window.
Faolan_Conall

Postby adamsderk » Tue May 09, 2006 10:27 pm

Greetings,

To me it always seemed silly to have a cockpit exposed to the outside world. I always figured the cockpit should be buried behind tons of armor and external cameras would feed you information.

But it doesn't make for good fiction. :) "The PPC crackled across his window..."

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Next

Return to Artwork