Reminder to all artists

For those working on art content.

Reminder to all artists

Postby adamsderk » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:34 am

Greetings,

Since everyone is doing a great job, I'm going to enforce :) a part of the requirements list.

Since so many models are coming in so quickly (yea, like I should be complaining), I am unable to check each one until I start the conversion process.

Therefore, please refer to Model Requirements under the model parts section.

I will simplify it by simply saying that each mesh section needs to be named. You can have more then the required sections (makes it easier to texture if you do keep everything separate), but they need to be named. "Cylinder8" and "Cube6" just aren't working.

The naming process will also allow you to check that all the required parts are there. I am finding that some parts are grouped together that should be separate.

My preference is the following:
head
ctorsor
ctorsof
btorsof (bottom torso for twisting mechs)
btorsor
rtorsor
rtorsof
ltorsor
ltorsof
rshoulder
rarmtop
rarmbottom
rhand
lshoulder
larmtop
larmbottom
lhand
rhip
lhip (or just hip if it one piece)
rlegtop
rlegbottom
rfoot
rtoe
llegtop
llegbottom
lfoot
ltoe

But you can use any naming convention that works for you. Please be sure to use single words to ensure compatibility during file format changes.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Faolan_Conall » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:17 am

Bloody totalitarian!

You do know that if we export something grouped together, you can ungroup it on your end? Admittedly its an oversight of ours, and we should be duly chastised, but, it might speed up your progress a wee bit more instead of waiting for the 2-48 hour turn-around.

Also, you never said in that list that it HAD to be named, just what the logical breakdown was. (My interpretation of it was that those were pieces that should be made seperate parts).

Anyhoo, thats just my whinging and bellyaching.
Faolan_Conall

Postby adamsderk » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:58 pm

FC,

Well, that's what I get for using Milkshape (a $25 program); no separate function.

Oh, and since FC was so good to quickly provide me models that are named, I found another requirement.

Mesh names have to be 10 characters or less. Otherwise they get grouped together.

Thanks.

P.S. And if you are wondering why I use Milkshape... It's the easiest, cheapest way to get dts files with animations into Torque.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Hana Yuriko » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:20 pm

Another reason mesh names need to be less than 10 characters is because most 3D programs don't recognize that many. File conversions between software packages can give you Read Errors or Improper Format errors.
Hana Yuriko

Return to Artwork