Mech Model Requirements

For those working on art content.

Mech Model Requirements

Postby adamsderk » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:15 am

If you would like to help by making models, please email me at adamsderk@hotmail.com to check out a Mech. Available Mechs to model are listed on the site.
Models
    1000-2000 polys per model.
    No weapons on models (weapons are mounted at run-time).
    Models should be composed of individual parts not a single mesh.
    Parts should be closed to allow articulation without exposing holes in the mesh.
    Torsos that twist need to allow bending without creating a gap (a half sphere will work).
    The hand should be able to be removed wjile keeping the rest of the arm intact. (models with hands)
    Formats used are obj and 3ds, although others may be possible.
For those interested in a parts list, here is the model break down:
    Head
    Torso
    Lower torso (twisting Mechs only)
    Left Upper Arm
    Right Upper Arm
    Left Lower Arm
    Right Lower Arm
    Left Hand
    Right Hand
    Left Upper Leg
    Right Upper Leg
    Left Lower Leg
    Right Lower Leg
    Left Foot
    Right Foot
    Left Toe (if appropriate and as many as necessary)
    Right Toe (if appropriate and as many as necessary)
Textures not required
    Textures are 1024x1024.
    UV Mapping is not required but should not have overlapping parts.
    Format should be png (prefered) or jpg.
There needs to be a base texture in grays. There will be a large number of factions, but for now the following faction textures are used:
    cc Capellan Confederation
    com Comstar
    dc Draconis Combine
    fs Federated Suns
    frr Free Rasalhague Republic
    fwl Free Worlds League
    lc Lyran Commonwealth

Thanks.
Last edited by adamsderk on Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby silverblade » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:54 pm

About the parts list, is that how we should model the mechs? Making a new object for each part instead of say, making the upper and lower arm from one object?

Also, will there be mechs without torso twist besides quad mechs? Or is that what you meant?
silverblade

Postby adamsderk » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:06 pm

Silverblade,

Yes, your models should have at least those individual parts. You can have more, but I will group them into the listed groups. I need the parts separated so I can animate them correctly.

There are many Mechs that don't torso twist, the Locust and Marauder come to mind. Of course in the RPG, everything torso twists, but I will be using the design of the Mech to determine torso twisting. Also, there are quads that don't twist (Scorpion) and quads that do (Goliath with a turret).

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby adamsderk » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:10 pm

Well, trying to recreate som of that which was lost, here is an example of a Mech exploded to see the various parts. Each part is individually shaded to show damage.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Faolan_Conall » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:34 am

Ok, so here's a question then-

Is it possible to make it so that the arms don't articulate and are essentially part of the body, as you'd expect in a Mech such as the Naga?

And for "no weapons".. specifically for the Naga.. leave the cylinders for the missile tubes out, correct?
Faolan_Conall

Postby adamsderk » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:39 am

Faolan,

Of course. I have provided the maximum articulation for a Mech. Some don't have torso twisting and some don't have lower arms. The Naga would have the pods, just not the LRMs. In the Mech bay it would be possible to mount other weapons on the pods instead of the LRMs. And most importantly, everyone would be able to see that you changed it.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby ×ÐV8× » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:22 am

What 3d rendering systems do you use? I.E.... Milkshape? Wings? Gmax? 3d Studio Max? Maya? Also what format do you want it in? Asfor textures how do you want them? .png? .tga? or do you need alpha layer .tga files like Mechwarrior 4? Also with the low poly Models would you prefer a fully UV mapped model or just the basic model with the extra UVmapping included?
For future Factions will there bee any like "Defiance Industries". Thats the faction I use for Table top games. I have a few "Camos" that we use on our miniatures as both .png and .tga files here on my computer(for rendering models, in use for posters).
I know some of you might see me as a Noob here, and may not know or recognise me, but I have been around for quite a few years now. I have been playing Tabletop since 1987, and have been involved with Battletech pc games since 1994.

Once again Thanx ~×ÐV8×~
×ÐV8×

Postby adamsderk » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:21 am

DV8,

I updated the requirements. Obj or 3ds but other formats may be possible. For textures png is prefered but jpg wors also.

There will probably be corporation textures, but I haven't decided on them yet and they won't be made until practically everything else is done. You can always send me what you have and I'll hang on to it and use it if needed.

And welcome to the group, strange as it is :)

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby longtom » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:07 pm

got a questions since i finaly found the time to do more modeling stuff. - are redesigns alowed? i have a model 90 percent done and anotherone in the works that are not 100 percent like the TROs. they are recognisable as what they are soposed to be and weaponslocations didnt change.
ill post something later this day to show what im talking about. oh - and another question. is it possible to have custom weapon modules for every mech - just a hypothetical question. i meen different weaponmodules dependent on the mehc choice. full set of weaponsmodels for each mech. would keep the individuality of the mech by still havy visual changes ingame. sure its more effort per mech but id be willig to include this int my models. just let me know what u think about it. i can make some mockups if ud like
"Remember, at 4:00 you have to shove a pineapple up Hitler's 455"
longtom

Postby adamsderk » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:09 pm

Longtom,

The models do not have to be exactly like the TROs, you have some artistic license.

Having the weapons modeled with the chassis is a completely different way of doing things. It's not better or worse, just different. I have set up my code to use one set of weapon models on all chassis, as such I do not have the code to hide/show the weapons within the chassis file. And doing both would be complicated.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby longtom » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:34 pm

didnt ment that the weapons schould be in the model - just more choices of looks for the weapons - u got multiple models for lrm 10 launches - would be grat to have some diversity for other weapons as well.for example 3 or 4 different loking ppcs autocannons 2 etc.just to fit the different styles of mechs . i would be willing to do them.
"Remember, at 4:00 you have to shove a pineapple up Hitler's 455"
longtom

Postby adamsderk » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:58 pm

Longtom,

Oh, I didn't get that. Sure, feel free to make more models of weapons. You need to keep the polys really low and make the textures small too (256x256) and I'll shrink them down to 128x128. That way I can "up the resolution" a few years down the road as systems get better. That is also why I want the mech textures at 1024x1024 even though I'm currently using 512x512.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Moses » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:40 pm

hmmm longtom is right, there are diffrent types of the ame weapon, just think about the srm6 on the atlas wirst and that one an warhammer carries on this shoulder ... same with lrm ... the lrm 15 on timberwolf c ar not the same seen on summoner prime ...

there are also lasers with extremly long barels like ssen at the maddog prime and other mech like the commando have just short tubes on thier arm ... others have medium sized barrels like the raven on his doublelaser arm...

im also unhappy when i model clan omnis of the 3050 timeline, tey share so many parts and i have to include them all again on the next one, also te alternate variant often change the entire arms so that one model for all alternates not realy fit thier aperience, just take at look at the warden helbringer or summoner b from ironwindmetals and u will understand.
Moses

Postby Punk » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:54 pm

I can't figure out if you are complaining that you have more or less work to do on the Omnis. More then a few chassies have identical legs and lower torsos, like the Loki and Thor, or the Vulture and MadCat. Some lights too, but I can't remember. I want to say the Dasher shares legs, and the Stormcrow.
0--}=----Punk-----*
House Marik[MPBT3025]
Punk

Postby Stormwolf » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:38 pm

Punk wrote:I want to say the Dasher shares legs, and the Stormcrow.

The Fire Moth shares its legs with the Mist Lynx.

The list goes something like this

Fire Moth - Mist Lynx
Kit Fox - Adder - Cougar?
Viper - Nova
Ice ferret - Phantom?
Mad Dog - Timber Wolf
Hellbringer - Summoner
Gargoyle - Executioner
Warhawk - Dire Wolf

I'm not too sure about the Phantom and the Cougar, they came later. But their legs look similar to the mechs they were redesigned from.
Stormwolf

Return to Artwork