New artist, Mech Previews

For those working on art content.

Postby felderup » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:48 pm

much prettier, and now for another pick, the winglets on the inner calves.
felderup

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:04 pm

What do you mean about them? are they too big, too small?

I'm working on the high poly model for my animation right now, It's quite enjoyable, but I think unwrapping the UV map is going to be a nightmare.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby felderup » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:14 pm

i may be wrong about them being there when they shouldn't, forget i said anything till i pop up with an answer, it just looks like they'll bang into each other.
[ed]i checked out a lord of the battlefield model, the wing-lets look like they point back at a different angle, more towards the rear, might just be the angle of the whole model.
felderup

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:34 am

For some time I've been wanting to make a short animation based on Battle tech, and I've now got the details pretty much worked out.

It's going to feature a single infantry man inspecting a wrecked train station and train. Suddenly he spots a wasp mech on patrol and tries to avoid being seen. He's spotted and climbs in to the train to avoid the wasp. There is a long tracking shot of him running down the carriges until he reaches the end, the wasp can be seen back trough the window coming over to inspect the train, but not moving in a hurry. Eventually he reaches the last carriage and when the door swings open he's confronted by a vindicator mech towering over the end of the train. The camera zooms over the pilot's shoulder and focuses in on a logo on the vindicator's torso and the animation finishes.

It has some distinct advantages as an animation. First of all there is no shooting, and no destruction of mechs, so no complex particles or multipart models for animating the mech's death. It also shows the inhuman scale of battle mechs compared to a lone infantryman. Also with only two mechs and a pilot as cast it shouldn't be too difficult to manage.

Here's a preview of the Wasp, have to do the hand and weapon yet, and next is texturing and rigging ready for animation tests. This version of the wasp is an early star league prototype. Thus the lack of rear armour.

Smoking_Mirror

Postby adamsderk » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Smoking_Mirror,

The Wasp looks really good. I'd really like to see the movie when you finish.

I wouldn't worry about the "fancy pyrotechnics," a well composed and directed movie will blow the socks off a bad movie with big booms. Of course a well composed and directed movie with big booms is even better :)

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Tue May 20, 2008 2:54 pm

Have a few old models which I'm hoping to get out of storage this week. the Gargoyle is a maybe as it has already been made by another artist.

The wolfhound is a retexturing. Should I go one step further and use the same texture builder that I used for the Mauler, or does the one it has right now seem OK?
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:39 pm

Starting work on a couple of new mechs. Going to take them through to Animation. I need a human type mech, a bird legged mech and a 4 legged mech.

For the human type mech I'm going with the Grasshopper.

ImageImage

For the bird type I'm going to make the Avatar, and the 4 legged mech will probably be the.... Well, not sure yet,as I can only think of about three quad mechs, none of which make a good "standard" design upon which to base a walk animation.

Anyone know of any more?
Smoking_Mirror

Postby jasper_ward » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:59 am

How about a Bishamon, Spider, Tarantula, or that WoBie one...um white flame or something close... I think you're right about there not really being a standard Quad design, i think it could be broken down into: spider legged, Dog legged and the larger xanthos horseish style... two or three ways that could be standardized.... just an idea
jasper_ward

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:30 am

Yeah, but most of those are later era mechs. I'm more of a fan of the early mechs (apart from my dislike of the unseen of course).

So far it's only a theory, but I think that using IK (inverse Kinematics) should mean that it doesn't really matter whether it's bird legged or man legged. The IK calculations should take care of it whatever happens. Essentially, you just move the foot and it calculates the best position for the rest of the leg and hip.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:32 pm

Here's a preview of the first of a couple or additions to the Vehicle Corps.

The Hunter light support tank.

ImageImage

I'm aiming to produce some nice light vehicles to allow the player some more choices when he transfers to the vehicle corps.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby adamsderk » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:53 pm

Smoking_Mirror,

Yea, vehicles.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:24 am

Also been bringing some older models in line with the texture standard.

Here's the gargoyle;
ImageImage

I want to make sure that all the 3050 omni mechs are ready to go in to the game, so that the minimum set of mechs is available up to the middle of the clan invasion. That way I can forget about mechs for a while and focus on buildings and vehicles.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:10 am

Another vehicle, the Scorpion light tank.

ImageImage

Next is probably the Galleon, Vedette, and the Bulldog/Goblin tanks, which in the TRO artwork look to have very similar body shapes with only the turret showing differences. I'll probably make them two together to save time.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:52 am

Two more designs which have been knocking around for a while.

First is the assassin, a very cheap medium mech, cheaper in fact than some light mechs in terms of battle value. A real bargain, if you want to swell the ranks of your militia army.
ImageImage

Also finally got around to knocking up a texture for the Highlander. I know there's a highlander in game already, but it didn't take long to finish this one and I prefer the idea of such a popular mech having a standard texture.

ImageImage
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:39 am

quad mech design.

I've been trying to decide on a quad mech to test the blender exporter on, and to create a standard template for further designs. I'm keen on making some of the contemporaries of the Mackie so that you can pilot some of those older designs at the start of the campaign. Their obsolete status gives them a low cost, so that players can get the chance perhaps to pilot some different weight classes even at a low level. (I'm sure Derk can fudge the campaign code a bit there..)
I want one from each weight class (or at least 1 for each faction), no need to include them all, so for the assault class (in addition to the Mackie of course) I've chosen the Xanthos.

You can see some of the TRO3075 age of war mechs over on solaris 7, if you know where to look ( I think they are hiding them). Here's the Xanthos. (Capellan) Try searching for the Battleaxe (fed com) Gladiator (Draconis) Icarus II (Free worlds league) Ymir (Lyran) Kyudo (terrans/SLDF) Toro (periphery) Firebee (Capellan) in the gallery section.

You can also see the mechwarrior DA concept art here.

And here's my model so far.

I'm working on intergrating a slight torso twist to make the animations match the in game ability to adjust viewing angle by up to 45 degrees.
Smoking_Mirror

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork