Warhammer mech

For those working on art content.

Warhammer mech

Postby jsprenkle » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:15 pm

Hello all,
I volunteered to help texture some more models. I've always had a soft
spot for my first mech the Warhammer. Seemed like a good place to start.
Anyone have a game ready model similar that I can use as an example
or possibly steal parts from? Max or 3ds format would be best.

Thanks!
jsprenkle

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:56 pm

I think the warhammer is one of the mechs where several people have submitted designs, but none were completed.

If you don't mind waiting a day or two I can put one together for you. If you can do the UV unwrapping yourself I could have one ready by tonight.

Usually I like to re-design the mechs a little so that they work better as 3d models (a standard conversion of the design from sculpted miniature to 3d mesh usually results in an ugly mesh) but with the re-seen warhammer it's already quite a good design for a mesh. There are lots of boxy forms in the design and much of the detail is just surface features which can be easily represented by textures.

Maybe Derk can say whether one was actually made or not, but if there is not one available, I'll put one together tonight after work using the reseen miniature as a base for the design...

http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=3575
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:21 pm

OK, the Warhammer is ready, if you can do UV mapping yourself you can have it right away, otherwise It'll have to wait a day or two.

It's about 1400 triangles without weapons. I've added shoulder mounts so that any missile or rocket pods sited there don't either look like they are floating, or look like they are welded straight on to the body.
The mounts would just be a mechanical looking brace. Even on the versions without shoulder mounted weapons they won't look too out of place as they are pretty small.

When I UV map it, I'll add some dummy weapons so that the model could be used for other projects.

The shoulder and upper arm are separate objects so that he arms can be hinged upwards in to the classic "guns akimbo" pose so popular with the modern warhammer.

Smoking_Mirror

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:36 am

OK, the UV mapped Warhammer is available.

You can find it here;

http://www.mediafire.com/?11wgejcntje

The map is divided in to different sectors, the Red is torso, green is weapons, etc... Yellow is faces that usually won't be seen so you can just give these a general metal texture just in case they pop in to view.

The mesh is already cut in to different sections, all that needs to be done is to make the texture.

Good luck.

Smoking_Mirror

Postby Matti » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:05 pm

Excuse me, I thought Warhammer looks like this:

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Matti

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:32 pm

I don't get what the fuss is about the unseen mechs. Most of the designs are pretty ugly, and lets face it they are stolen from another game world.

It'd be like the starship enterprise showing up in for a fight with the millennium falcon in Star wars.

Battletech has it's own flavour and I really don't think the unseen really fit with that. They are too Anime styled, where as Battletech has a distinct European/American style.

I understand why people love them, they are part of the BT history, which stretches back over 20 years. They have feeling of nostalgia for them, but nostalgia is not a good enough reason to stick with a compromised design.

Besides, who wants to get involved with all the legal stuff of copyright infringements and what have you.

All that said, I do like the design of the Unseen warhammer, but in this case I decided the Re-seen one was more of a good choice.

Check here for a really good interpretation of the Unseen WH...

The Unseen, by punakettu
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Matti » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:12 am

Smoking_Mirror wrote:Most of the designs are pretty ugly

I like ugly :mrgreen:

and lets face it they are stolen from another game world.

They were NOT stolen, they were licensed!
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Matti

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:46 am

I don't mean it in the legal sense that they were unlicensed copies, but in the sense that they didn't come up with the idea themselves.

Although I can see the irony that this project is not entirely original in itself...
Smoking_Mirror

Postby elitewolverine » Thu May 08, 2008 5:47 am

i know this one is old (almost a year) but it was one of the mechs i had my eye on...

i like the nastalga of the older mechs but i do agree some of them (not all) do have a anime feel, but i think the ones that people like the most have a anime/american feel (warhammer maradur) i think fit that style, but there are some like the wasp or phoenix or Crusader (even though i liked that one) have that anime look....or even the wolverine (another fav) have a anime/american style...

but the ones i absolutely dont like are the really round style mechs, to me, thats not a mech, to me it makes no sense, these things are built in a time of war, war that happens almost every day, even in current day it takes alot alot of work to build a stressed type or armor plating in a round form, instead of making it triangulated (and doesnt offer any better protection)...so to me the ones that i think of mech etc, are the ones that are more square and make more battle sense...

but to each his own really....i for one do like the warhammer, and since this is a older post im going to post it here before starting up my own thread...

on the mech list the star league warhammer, the one the op was wondering about is the one im just about to start on....and was wondering if there was still a need for this mech as it hasnt been checked out/finished in the mech list page...

and if i do do it, if the op is still around, do you want to texture it?
elitewolverine

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Thu May 08, 2008 10:19 am

well the re-seen warhammer is all done and posted (somewhere around here...) but I think Derk (and a lot of the other regular posters) would love to see an original, unseen version.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby elitewolverine » Thu May 08, 2008 3:35 pm

ok sweet, ill go ahead and start on her today, hopefully by the end of the night ill have something good to show

i saw the reseen floating around, and it looks good i do enjoy that mech as well and see it as a good evolution to a good mech
elitewolverine

Postby Moses » Mon May 12, 2008 12:17 pm

1. unseen warhamer is the covermech of mechwarrior 1
2. it schiped for far over a deacade with the groundbox
3. unseen designs (for the most those originaly designed for the macross saga) are dead-sexy.

in the end i have no problem takeing the better designs in favor of poor remakes that where made with the only intension to avoid licensing-trouble with the lame guys from harmony gold. :roll:
Moses

Postby felderup » Mon May 12, 2008 1:32 pm

a year or two ago, it was a while, the license problems with harmony gold were worked out, harmony gold has rights to robotech, that's it, simply say they're a ripoff of macross mechs, they don't have the rights to macross, so, have fun.
felderup

Postby elitewolverine » Mon May 12, 2008 8:49 pm

felderup wrote:a year or two ago, it was a while, the license problems with harmony gold were worked out, harmony gold has rights to robotech, that's it, simply say they're a ripoff of macross mechs, they don't have the rights to macross, so, have fun.

just to clarify for anyone interested:
we can call it worked out, but in truth they were never ripoff mechs to begin with. when battletech first started they had actually purchased the lisense to all 26mech designs...problem? when harmony gold released the american tv series robotech (based off macross , actually the macross was the first 36 episodes of robotech) any how, harmony gold had bought all distribution rights and american copyright from macross series and anything involved in it.

Battletech never purchased the liscense from macross or harmony, instead they purchased it from TCI who in turn had recieved the liscense to distribute artwork from the japanese studio Tatsunoko, which featured many of the "macross" mechs in various anime...

but when harmony gold noticed the likeness of such designs in battletech in 85' they issued a C&D but never took action...

surprisingly, the legal issue everyone knows of, was originally between FASA and Playmates (likeness of the madcat vs exosquad). Tyco was making the FASA ones, anyhow when harmony gold had made a deal to use the macross designs with the exosquads with playmate, in 95 ten years after the C&D order, is when the two sides finally clashed and it was because of the action toys.

Anyhow FASA lost to playmates on grounds of unable to provide sufficient proof, but it wasnt a hollow defeat...FASA lost no money to playmates...

but, Harmony Gold pursuied action against FASA and it never reached a verdict because it was settled in a closed agreement, so we will never know the outcome. But we do know that in some loose way, FASA is able to use the mecha's (just not the originals).

anyhow, im almost fully done with the orion, and ive got the Warhammer (unseen) started up as well (arms and legs so far)...
elitewolverine

Postby LeonKerensky » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:58 pm

ps: did you ask punakettu for the model, if not than i'm telling (lol)
LeonKerensky

Return to Artwork