Is this a good idea?

Yes, great!
83%
No, Terrible, it won't work.
17%

Total votes : 6

Postby adamsderk » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:54 pm

felderup,

Each Mech uses a 512x512 texture, but since it is a jpg, we get some compression so the average size is about 70 kb. Each Mech, including the model file, is about 2.5 Mb. Other models follow a similar usage.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby LeonKerensky » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:52 am

felderup wrote:256x256x32 would be 262k, 30 of them would be nearly 9m, so, there would be textures for buildings, mechs, vehicles, infantry, all kinds of things, lots more that 30.

30MB? thats not too much
LeonKerensky

Postby felderup » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:55 am

yeah, i was answering the, if it were plain bitmaps question, and didn't remember the size, in other words, it wasn't that important, but i'll remember it for next time i do calculations.
felderup

Postby LeonKerensky » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:03 am

felderup wrote:256x256x32 would be 262k, 30 of them would be nearly 9m, so, there would be textures for buildings, mechs, vehicles, infantry, all kinds of things, lots more that 30.

okay, that shouldn't be a problem at all. some games take up 10 gigs just for sprites. 9m each would be somewhere around half a gig for all of the characters. thats not really a lot of space.
LeonKerensky

Postby felderup » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:45 am

the question then becomes, who pays for all the bandwidth to transfer all of this multi gig game that is envisioned?
felderup

Postby adamsderk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:26 pm

felderup,

For now it is being graciously provided to me for free (leeching off a much bigger corporate bandwidth). If I loose that, then I'll have to figure out another method. While I am being conservative of space and bandwidth, it does add up with the volume I am undertaking.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby felderup » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:29 pm

well, too bad you're not releasing the source in the near future, you could slap the parts separate from the proprietary engine onto the sourceforge servers, heck, maybe even fileplanet would take the binaries, then you don't have to split things up. ooh, a sourceforge page for the content and engine mods, then all the users do is download the bare engine from here, and unzip the content pack to the same directory, vegastrike does(did?) something similar, as well as several other games, download in two parts.

yaknow, a torrent wouldn't be a bad idea.
felderup

Postby LeonKerensky » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:47 pm

felderup wrote:the question then becomes, who pays for all the bandwidth to transfer all of this multi gig game that is envisioned?

huh, thats never been a problem for me. But if you intend to have somewhere between 14 to 16 players for a game, than you might be concerned.
but again, if you're running this game on a corporate server than you have nothing to worry about. with the combined force of each computer you wont really have any problems at all. especially if the computers are designed to run CAD/CAM software.
LeonKerensky

Postby SandMan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:27 pm

I like the torrent idea. Sky's the limit if you chose to go in that direction.

//SandMan
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby LeonKerensky » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:42 am

SandMan wrote:I like the torrent idea. Sky's the limit if you chose to go in that direction.

//SandMan

okay than. looks like we got a plan, shall we get started?
LeonKerensky

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:42 am

Sorry, what's the plan?

As I say, I did try to make a basic texture sheet which could be shared by any new mech, but there were some problems. first and foremost is that it's really difficult to unwrap the mesh on to the sheet and no overlap or reuse sections. If sections or poly's overlap then you can't bake the textures- which means much less convincing final result.

rust and other effects are likewise impossible to get looking good.

I've had a lot more success using map zone to make procedural textures.

However maybe a basic sheet would be good for dealing with the back log of untextured mechs, if you just want to quickly get them in the game.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby LeonKerensky » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:07 am

well, i thought that the plan would be to make the panel lines/mech details for each mech and than just paste that on top of a colored background (to represent the paint scheme of the mech) and just do that for each mech, but if time is a big issue, than we can use the easy texture thing

if you use a torrent, or a corporate server to transfer the data; nobody should have any problems with large files

but if you have any other ideas than feel free to share
LeonKerensky

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:57 am

Well, what happens currently is exactly that, I post the base texture here for Derk (you can download one of my mechs from this forum and take a look at the textures provided).

Derk then pastes the textures on top of his mech camo schemes and adds faction logos. The results go in to the game folder, one texture each for each mech and each faction.

The problem is generating the base texture for each mech in the first place, and unwrapping the texture. That's what takes the most time.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby LeonKerensky » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:12 pm

okay than, ill start downloading
LeonKerensky

Postby LeonKerensky » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:14 am

ummm..... do you have a link for all of the downloads, i could only find 2 mech templates
LeonKerensky

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork