Sound Effects

For those working on art content.

Postby Duuvian » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:29 am

Sandman - How to implement an effect like that would be up to Derk... I could set up an echo easily for every AC shot... but what if your on some plains? Alternatively I could make some echoes for the weapons if Derk has some idea for it.

felderman- I will include a gong sound with a pack of general sounds, I'm sure Derk will plug an appropriate sound in where they go.

Derk - Try this out http://rapidshare.com/files/95267415/ec ... s.rar.html

ecm maybe sound 3.mp3 is what your saying I think.

There are also a few beeps I made.

bap beep.mp3 would work as a loop, maybe for the Beagle active probe
Duuvian

Postby SandMan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:28 am

Duuvian,

You can get rolling thunder on plains. It's not the fast echo people normally think of when they hear the word; even small changes in elevation can produce the effect, so I'm imagining this as just being part of the firing sound. The ac_fire sound already has this in there, (on purpose or not, but it's there) I'd just like it to be more obvious and longer lasting.

Here's a sample of what I'm talking about:
http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/soundfx/ ... tion.shtml

Edit:
So I just converted that thunder sound to ac_fire.ogg and dropped it in the BTS sounds folder, and used another thunder sound for ac_hit. I grabbed a design with a few ACs and was totally blown away! I'm definitely keeping them in there for the time being, because there's nothing quite like chain-firing a few ACs and then listening to the thunder roll away. Seriously guys, you need to try this. Epic win!
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby adamsderk » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:46 pm

Duuvian,

I personally like the tonal range of "4 high beeps." It may just be the frequency, but it sounds more "complex" where the other high beeps are sharp and monosonic.

The "bap beep" is also a good tonal range. However, I believe I have only so many channels that I can fill with sound so I would like to keep sounds short and I will put a delay in to call a second sound. So, please provide the "combined" sounds, but the single sounds as well (more for later once you have it figured out).

The "ecm maybe sound" is too all over the place with the modulating frequencies. But it is in the right space. Maybe simplifying it to just a single or maybe a double wave would allow it to sink into the background better. Also, any "repetitive" sound should loop without a break. It may be my software (Windows Media Player), but the two ends do seem to line up.

Sandman,

I haven't put the thunder in the game, but I can see what you mean. This would be a good sound to start with and create a family of AC firing sounds. The hit though would be more of an impact sound than a thunder sound, right?

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby SandMan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:25 am

Derk,

Probably. I could imagine the impact creating a thunderclap-like sound in some cases, but the real reason I did it was so I could still hear a thunder sound when someone shot me with an AC from an appreciable distance, since the sounds seem to attenuate pretty quickly (whereas the thunder should really carry). An easy hack would be to have ac_fire be the thunder sound, and ac_hit be the same sound but with some sort of impact noise mixed in at the beginning (so you can still hear the thunder when you're being shot at from far away. Unfortunately, you'll hear nothing if they shoot high and the projectile flies off into space). Another, more realistic route would be to increase the distance that weapon sounds travel before they go silent
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby felderup » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:17 pm

yaknow, there may be a fast enough virtual synth to do sounds with variable echoes, maybe timidity, or is that linux only? no matter. a bullet strike, echo from soft surfaces die fast, heavy reverb when in a cityscape, distant echoes when in mountainous regions, that kinda crep.
felderup

Postby Duuvian » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:15 am

Some AC sounds for ya. I'm gonna wait till I take my shotgun out to shoot to make the LBX, but here is a possible sound for the firing of an autocannon and Ultra AC.

Derk: I wasn't sure from your list if you wanted the various sized ac's, so I only made one variant (which sounds like a smaller ac than the orignal)

http://rapidshare.com/files/103713687/A ... d.rar.html
Duuvian

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:16 am

sounds great, if you are just posting small files you may want to check out http://www.mediafire.com/

It's less hassle than rapid share, no passwords or download limits or any of those other pains in the neck.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby adamsderk » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:43 pm

Duuvian,

Really nice. The only issue is that the fade out is cut off. Can you extend the sound duration (without changing what you have) so it finishes a fade to quiet?

As for the lighter sound, it is wonderful. I would very much like to have four different AC sounds. Think of them as different calibers; the bigger the gun, the greater the explosion.

The UAC just sounds like a couple of ACs put together. A single explosion is what I need, so instead of layer the same sounds, try changing the pitch or timber and keep it a single shot.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:55 pm

Does the Ultra AC fire two shots at the same time? (two barrels), I thought it was just a rapid fire Autocannon, firing two shots (or two bursts of shots) in a short time.

Even with improved technology two barrels would require two firing actions, and two ammo feeds and two.. everything else really. That would certainly increase the weight even if you are using lighter materials.

In Mechwarrior 3 the AC was a rapid fire weapon hosing people with bullets, and in Mechwarrior 4 the standard AC is single shot and the Ultra AC fires two bursts, difficult to aim boths shots on target, so usually it only does half damage unless you are facing a slow moving target.

If it's a matter of simplicity (I can't think of how to implement a two shot weapon in BTS) then I guess we can suspend our disbelief. :)
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Duuvian » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:17 am

Derk: I can do that. For the UAC, if I'm understanding you right, you would like it to sound different than the normal AC, but instead of me making it sound like 2 rounds, you want one round and you will make it sound like two? Or do you want me to make it sound like 2 rounds were fired in the .25 seconds, by adjusting the pitch of the second shot to make it distinctive? The second would be my suggestion, as it would be tricky the first way with the rolling thunder. Also, .25 seconds is a very short time, it may be hard to distinguish the two shots unless they vary in pitch as you suggested. Also, if I do it the second way, let me know if the timing is right on the UAC sound I gave you. I was thinking the two quick bass noises at the start is prolly about .25 seconds, though I didnt measure it exactly.

Smoking_Mirror: I thought the UAC shot 2 rounds out of a single barrel in under .25 seconds, in theory doubling the damage. I'm far from an expert on the cannon canon though. I always thought the "Auto" part of Autocannon just means that they are automatically reloaded, not an automatic cannon. Other than maybe Rotary Acs, if they function the same as described in MW 4 Mercenaries.
Duuvian

Postby felderup » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:44 am

perhaps a larger ac has a lower pitch barrel exit sound, but the same echoing crack sound. check sounds of a derringer, it's a high pitched pop, a desert eagle has a thump sound, a battleship canon has a sound of a great beast sighing, relates to the length and bore.
felderup

Postby adamsderk » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:02 pm

Smoking_Mirror,

You have to separate fluff/reality from weapon data. In BTS, the difference between the AC and UAC is the time between bullets; the UAC fires twice as often. The number of bullets fired for each trigger pull is based on the size; 2 fires a single bullet where the 20 fires 10 bullets.

Duuvian,

Each bullet firing will play the sound. The game puts a small delay between the bullets (which is why they make a stream instead of a clump). When the second bullet fires, it will overlap the first bullet, sounding like two bullets firing is quick succession. But your sound is only for a single bullet.

I do it this way so that if I have to change the number of bullets fired, the sound corrects itself to the actual number of bullets fired, not a pre-made single sound.

P.S. Same thing for missiles, they are all single projectiles with their individual single firing sounds.

felderup,

Great description. Exactly what I was getting at.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby felderup » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:12 pm

i've been learning about bagpipes, size and length determine the notes, i needed to know what notes were used so i could design a bagpipe synth. it kind of makes a person think differently about sound.
felderup

Previous

Return to Artwork