Sound Effects

For those working on art content.

Sound Effects

Postby Duuvian » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:06 am

Wassup, I was wondering if there was a list of sound effects you would like, Derk. I haven't made any sound effects in a long time, but it's fun. I'll have access to a studio soon too, so I can even do a few vocal sound effects even. Until then, though, I'll work on a sound that can kill.

A good question to ask I suppose, would be what do mech, tank, and helicoptor engines sound like in the time period? I have no access to any kind of Battletech Universe book.

If there is a some kind of description straight from the literature that would help greatly.

I guess if there is a sound reference that would be nice in BTS, throw out a description of the sound and I'll try to make it...

By the way, random question time... what happens when you drink too much water while your stuck in a mech? Is it like an astronaut suit in there? Does it exit through the bottom like an airplane? Do other mechwarriors laugh when they see it? And finally, do you want a sound effect for it? :lol:

It's kinda stupid but I thought of an ambush with some shut down mechs getting ruined cause someone flushed the toilet. And the ensueing ass- chewing he gets from his C.O.
Duuvian

Postby adamsderk » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:20 am

Duuvian,

I'd love to have sound effects. No one has been willing to make the variety necessary for the game. And unfortunately, if I don't have the whole sound family, I can't use any of it.

I will get you a list of the sounds I need but it will take me a little bit because it is a very long list. The fall into "families" like the micro laser, small laser, medium laser and heavy laser. They would have a similar sound as they are in the same "family" but each would be distinctly different as well.

The "general operating sounds" such as engines and metal twisting sounds are up to the sound designer. Someone might be able to provide you with copies of the other game sounds, but it might be better to start without a preconception and make something without doing research. What would a "fusion engine" sound like to you?

I will let others comment on the "life support system" in a Mech. :)

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Duuvian » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:11 am

Well, I made helicoptor noise yesterday. I can't remember it's name, but I visualized the light Star League dual-blade heli you have in Demo 12. I split it up into several different pieces, like "takeoff" "accelerate" "slow down" "full speed" and "level flight".

I'll post them all connected in about proper order so you can see what it may sound like in game.

One thing though, is that the blade noise stays the same while the motor drone changes. I could change the tempo of the blades to show acceleration if you wish, but it seems almost unneccesary.

I think this sample has takeoff, then accellerate, then level flight, than accelerate and then full speed.

A good question to ask would be wheter you can "fade" sounds in and out, Derk. Like for straight vertical flight, have one kind of engine drone; and for straight flight, have another; then if you were to gain altitude while going forward (diagonal if you will) then blend the two at whatever percentage they compare to one another?

If not, I can just make a "diagonal flight" noise as well.

Also, at each 10% of engine power, would you be able or want to assign a sound for each? I can make a "level flight" and "accelerate/decelerate" sound for each of those as well.

Also, small variences within "families" make it extremely easy once you get a good base sound.

Edit: Oops, forgot the link.

Edit2: I made a trial ppc sound, and also included the helicoptor sounds all in one .rar.

The sound you would hear if you were to fire on something with a ppc is ppc sound and hit.mp3

ppc fire.mp3 is the actual sound of the ppc

big ppc fire.mp3 is something that could be substituted for either of the others, more of an example variance

ppc miss.mp3 is what someone outside of the mech fireing the ppc would hear, as long as he isnt the one hit.

Another question I have is how reactionary sounds to hits will work. Like, will each chassis piece be assigned a sound? Each weapon? Each weapon on each chassis piece (IE would an srm hit on a leg sound different than on the torso/head) Or rather how many small variances are possible on your end, minor variances are very easy if you have some time, on my end.

http://rapidshare.com/files/93102278/pp ... i.rar.html
Duuvian

Postby adamsderk » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:05 pm

Duuvian,

I'm not quite sure about how much control I will have over sounds so it is probably best to err on the side of more options.

Now, my disclaimer... I am always appreciative of any work that anyone does to help with the game, so I appreciate what you are doing very much. But I am also very analytical in my evaluation (that is what has gotten me this far). If I push you beyond what you are willing/able to do, then let me know and I will back down, but if you are wanting to stretch your abilities (and broaden your portfolio), I will help you as much as possible.

Your engine sounds are good, but they are "tinny." They lack the complex harmonics of real sounds. Since it is possible to sample real engine sounds and then alter them, I would challenge you to do just that.

This brings up a personal preference... I feel that while it is "possible" to electronically construct a sound, the skill necessary is outside the realm of all but super-human creators. As such, sampling, mixing, altering and twisting of actual sounds will create a more "realistic" sound.

The PPC is overall "weak sounding." As a general rule, weapon sounds can be "larger than life" since that is the core of gaming sound. The PPC in particular is a large weapon and should have a hair-tingling and chest thumping sound. Since it is described as "man-made lightning," it might also benefit from sound sampling.

For weapon sounds in particular, I do know that I have sound at the weapon when it is fired and sound at impact when it hits something. There isn't a "close-call" sound that I know of.

So, great work but are you up to making it even better?

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby felderup » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:45 pm

when i think ppc discharge, i think of the deep bass twang of a large transformer charging, a sound that makes you wonder if it will explode, then the hum while it operates. i don't think the lightning will be a large noise for the operator, maybe a sizzle, an echo of the lightning boom, everyone else will hear a crack and sizzle, see a flash that blinds their image intensifiers for several seconds. if it were possible to separate the sight and sound so the flash came before the sound, with a difference between arrival based on distance, probably not possible, or needed, on a small map, but at least direction of enemy forces could be easily determined.
felderup

Postby Duuvian » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:14 pm

Sure thing Derk, but keep in mind that sampling takes much longer to do. I have to find a good sample, cut it down to size in cooledit and make it sound nice, then bring it over and plug it in. Most of that is easy, its just finding a good sound to sample that takes forever for me. However, your right, it usually does produce a higher quality sound.

feld, I threw in some distorted guitar noise to try to sound like air crackling, but I'll admit it sounds crappy. Thank you for the feedback, I'll use it for the next version.

For engine noise, my car has a pretty mean sounding exhaust system (flowmaster) that would be a good base noise I suppose, while I can sample normal exhausts as well. That may be in the future though, I'll have to borrow a microphone. Till then, I'll see if I can sample some effects from random places and get back to you in a bit.
Duuvian

Postby adamsderk » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:24 pm

Duuvian,

I'm really glad I didn't scare you away.

Sound is one of those things that most people don't give enough credit. In movies, when I get to the end and don't remember the music just the emotion, I realize just how good it was. I have also turned off a movie because the music and sound was so incongruous to the action.

In the game, the sounds will be there over and over and over. If they are done well, they become part of the experience and are inseparable from the game (many can talk about their favorite sounds). If they are not done well, they become an annoyance and detract from the game play or stop it all together.

Because of the power that sound has (even more than the visuals), it is really important that it be the best possible. I have been working on this game for going on four years now, I am willing to slow down and wait for the good stuff. :)

I look forward to hearing what you can do.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Duuvian » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:39 am

No prob, I won't bail out so quickly after getting your hopes up. To be honest though, I havent worked on it too much beyond collecting a few samples, but its a start. As soon as I finish one I'll put it up and see what you think.

If you find a sound that is more or less close to something you need, you can just email it to me or post the link here (probally best if posted here)

That goes for anyone I suppose, since every base sound I get is one less I have to look for.

EDIT: I have a question as well. For activated equiptment such as ECM activating that have no real world equivalents, would synthesizer tones be alright? It seems appropriate, since synth noises are likely what they would use in aircraft alarms and such.

In the other categories (such as weapons and ambience) samples would be appropriate, perhaps made more exotic if neccessary.

Also, I'm taking a look at
http://www.freesfx.co.uk/

They have some free sounds there, but they request credit if we use them, which isnt a big deal to me.

EDIT2: Checked out their site, got a few samples. Many of theirs were low quality though, which I tried to avoid.
Duuvian

Postby Duuvian » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:53 am

I think I have the machine gun sounding pretty good; I took a Colt 1911 sound and modified it a bit. I also added a sound I hope sounds like some sort of reloading mechanism. It can be removed if you don't like it. I'll make a sort of sample sound so everyone can see what it may sound like.

Edit: http://rapidshare.com/files/94995241/ma ... s.rar.html

I think it sounds pretty good.

m. gun fire single.mp3 is the single shot Derk needs

machine gun bursts.mp3 is what it would possibly sound like, though I guessed at the rate of fire, and it starts off with four single shots. In the background you might notice metallic noises, those are the beginnings of the hit noises I'm working on, still a work in progress.
Last edited by Duuvian on Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duuvian

Postby adamsderk » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:12 am

Duuvan,

Sounds good. As for the ECM type sounds, electronic ones are fine. However, as a clarification, it is not their "activation" that needs a sound, but an "activated" sound that runs as long as the device is active. If it doesn't work out well though (i.e. too noisy in the cockpit), I may need to have a visual indicator (blinking light).

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Duuvian » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:40 am

No prob. Another question is, can you change the volume of these sounds once I give them to you, or will they have to be "tailor-fit" so to speak?

Edit: I'll prolly either do jump jet noise, missile launch, or one of those tones.

For Beagle Active Probe, would you want a sort of radar "ping" noise? Or rather a constant tone, or a beep or beep series?
Duuvian

Postby Duuvian » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:55 am

http://rapidshare.com/files/95006397/be ... p.rar.html

The beep is just a simple beep sequence I made that you might be able to use for something; took two seconds to make so what the hell. The loop is called ecm maybe 2.mp3 and is more of an example of a long sound; it's more to see if thats the kinda thing you want (but better and longer and not as irritating)
Duuvian

Postby adamsderk » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:14 pm

Duuvian,

In the "ecm maybe" file, I love the tone behind the main one. The main high tone would be too annoying over an extended period. If you remove the main tone, I could use a family of that tonal range in different files.

When testing the "activated" tones, loop them and have them going for 10 minutes while you are working on something else. If they become part of the background, but you notice when they stop, it will be perfect. The use of them is that when that device is damaged, the sound will stop and the player will know they aren't receiving the benefit of it any more.

The "beep beep beep" is a great "warning" sound. It isn't as in-your-face as the traditional klaxon. I could use a family of those as well.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby SandMan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:09 pm

I'd like to request that if the AC gets retooled at some point, that the "rolling thunder" after-effect be more pronounced. This awesome sound effect is the result of the blast's sound waves bouncing off of things at different distances, creating those neat semi-random changes in volume intensity as the sound travels back to you. A solid 5 seconds of fade time on the rolling thunder would rock my world.

Also: Derk, I seem to be on a roll of some kind, and it's already inbox o'clock again.
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby felderup » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:26 pm

how bout when a commander sends a message, a gong, it'd be good when objectives have changed.
felderup

Next

Return to Artwork