SHD-5D Shadow Hawk request

For those working on art content.

SHD-5D Shadow Hawk request

Postby SandMan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:44 am

Hey everyone,

This is a request, but to the modelers, so I've put it in the Artwork section since I figured that's where most of you hang out (and the Requests section is mostly for requests from Derk with regard to the game itself).

Basically, if anyone has an inclination to try modeling the SHD-5D Shadow Hawk (Reseen), I would consider them a personal hero. I would also bump their model to the front of my queue of 'Mechs being sliced up and animated in preparation for being imported into the game =). Derk can tell you, I go through this task pretty fast for someone earning a Master's degree while working at two jobs. A retextured Charger model is reasonably close to what I'm looking for, so that's what we're going to use for now, but a dedicated model would really be ideal.

I'll have to remove the monster RAC for purposes of the game, but if it could be modeled anyhow, that would be beyond awesome. I can provide pictures of the IWM figure from any angle if you can't find enough source material online.

Thanks in advance!
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:47 pm

maybe, I'm real busy with work right now, but If I get some time I'll give it a go.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby SandMan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:24 pm

Smoking_Mirror, that would be great. I've seen some of your other models, and they're very high quality (including your textures). Derk actually trained me on your crab, if you can beleive it =)

Time is not a big issue. When the prize is a Reseen Shadow Hawk with a Gigantor Gatling DeathCannon (TM), it is a prize worth waiting for. I understand the demands of work; it's only through rigorous sleep deprivation that I'm able to get anything done.
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby SandMan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:33 am

Smoking_Mirror,

I don't really know anything about the process; would it help to have the model I'm using now? Here's a pic:

Like I said, it's basically a Charger, so some details are wrong (height and shape of shoulder plates, torso shape, jetpack, RAC details, etc), but it's getting the idea across for me at the moment, and maybe it would be a decent starting point for you. Let me know.
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:01 am

ah, hell. I have to gear up the easy texture system with a test model, so I may as well make this mech the test subject.

I'm a school teacher in Korea and we've just started a new term so there are loads of new students running around keeping me busy right now. Maybe I can fit it in over this week.

EDIT; here's the basic shape. It's still mirrored across the x axis, so I've still got to add the pod on the side of the head and some other non symmetrical junk, but first I'm going to unwrap the majority of the UV sheet to save time later. Compared to some other designs I've done, this one is pretty much cannon (although it is again, a re-seen version).

It's around 1500 triangles right now. I've found a Python script (it wasn't hard to find, it's bundled with blender) which allows radical reduction of polys without distorting the texture, so I'm going to be using that to create multiple versions. One at 1500 polys for closeups and another at around 700 for distance shots.

Most of the detail will be added with textures and then baked on.

Smoking_Mirror

Postby SandMan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:39 pm

Wow, it looks viewtiful! You've done a great job in capturing the posture of the design, especially the way the head sits in the torso. Interesting decision to have the jetpack pinch in at the bottom instead of flaring out to the sides, but it still looks good. Follows the curvature of the body more.

Now I'm all excited for the rest!
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:09 pm

The jet pack angle was caused by a realignment of the flow of edges in the upper torso. I dislike 90 degree angles in any design, so once the bask design is made I usually adjust the angle of any internal edges to give a more dynamic feel to the structure.

I forgot to redo the backpack afterwards. :)

I've decided to redo the back pack as well as leaving off the missile pod on the side of the head, it'll be added later in game. I noticed that several examples of the shadow hawk miniature didn't have the missile pod so I suspect that some load outs don't feature the weapon system. I've added a small mount on the left shoulder, so that the big ass gun doesn't look stupid when mounted on, all the models I saw feature some kind of gun there, so It'd be foolish to leave it out all together.

I've UV mapped the model, so now it's just a matter of preparing the template bmps and getting the procedural texture system working properly. Look for the finished model toward the end of the weekend.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby SandMan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:33 pm

Awesome.

If I could talk you back into doing the missile pod and the RAC/5 (or at least the huge RAC) as separate groups from the head and left torso (respectively), I'd really appreciate it. I know I'll have to take them off for purposes of the game, but they look so cool, and I want to be able to waste hours twirling the model around in MilkShape. If you don't add them in, then I'll have to, and your skill in this area is much higher than mine (so it would look a lot better if you did it).

Thanks =)
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby Hana Yuriko » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:39 pm

Smoking_Mirror wrote: I dislike 90 degree angles in any design, so once the bask design is made I usually adjust the angle of any internal edges to give a more dynamic feel to the structure.

That's an interesting build creed. I'll have to try that on my next model.
Hana Yuriko

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:43 am

It's something I've recently started doing since I moved from triangle to quad modeling.
90 degree angles are fine where different parts meet, like at the shoulder or thigh joint, but in the main body or down the leg it can really add a little more life to the model if the edge loops are tweaked just slightly, just a few degrees off of true 90 degrees. I also try to break up any straight lines in to more flowing curves, or as much as possible with a 1500 poly model. :)

If for example you look at any modern car these days there are no straight lines, no hard right angles, it turns the object from a functional machine in to an almost organic piece of art.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby adamsderk » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:01 pm

Smoking_Mirror,

It sounds like the difference between unseen and reseen. The "newer" units being drawn, are in line with a general sense or artisticness (i.e. curved lines instead of boxes). It probably comes from the fact that our military vehicles are becoming less boxy because of the importance of exterior surfaces for detection.

And it looks really good.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:46 am

The model is nearly ready, my computer is pretty slow, so I've had a lot of trouble with the procedural texture builder.

After splitting the file in to three sections, each building components for the next section, I think I've got it to work. The problem is that I'm using 2048x2048 textures in the builder to keep the masks really clean and avoid colour bleeding or errors in the building texture. Later they will be baked on the model at 1024x1024, but using a high res texture from the start allows better defined and more subtle details.

If this comes out well, I may use the builder to texture up a few of the other models I've made.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby SandMan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:04 am

Smoking_Mirror,

Sounds good. The textures would take up an unweildy amount of space if they were all big, but would you mind including the 2048x2048 map anyhow? This is what I use locally on my favorite Mechs, simply because it looks good. That's also the same reason I was asking for the RAC, for local use. I have no problem cutting off guns and lowering texture resolutions for the game as a whole, but when I'm sitting at home, taking a break from coding, I like to run around with the biggest guns and prettiest textures possible.

For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:01 pm

OK, still trying to eliminate the bugs and irritations in the procedural texture set up. The real test will be when I feed a new mech texture in and see if it can still come up with some thing nice.

here's a preview of the shadowhawk, bear in mind that these textures are at 2048 so are nowhere near in-game standard;

Smoking_Mirror

Postby SandMan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:14 pm

Mighty fine! 2048 may not be the in-game standard, but you can still use textures at that resolution and it looks fabulous. As does your preview. Thanks for the update!
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Next

Return to Artwork