What do you think of this design style?

it's good
60%
I prefer a realistic style
40%

Total votes : 5

alternative texture style....?

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:23 am

Yesterday I was reading a document aimed at new players of battletech (it's quite good for those of us with little knowledge of the subject) and I was really taken with the mech designs in the last few pages.

The graphics artist has taken a really simple approach with the texture of these designs (I can't quite tell if they are 3d models or simply 2d paintings) but it's really effective.

I could alter my process to make this the default style really easily. So far I've made real efforts to make the textures realistic, with a lot of busy detail,

But I wonder if this style would fit better in to the simple graphical asthetic of BTS...
Check it out (pages 38-49 for mech pictures).
Smoking_Mirror

Postby adamsderk » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:35 pm

Smoking_Mirror,

It is a simpler illustration technique. I have never push "high-realism" in my game, my premise has been if you get the behavior right, they could be a single block and the human mind would make them Mechs (that is why the early VR was still effective, believable behavior overrode the visual simplicity).

If you can make a fast process to texture units in the provided design, I'd be very happy.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby felderup » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:14 pm

how bout ultra low poly cell shaded?
felderup

Postby Duuvian » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:06 am

I like intensity of the busy detail but it seems to me to be good for Solaris VII, advertising, prototypes and such, but doesnt seem quite military. If you want a good reference, you could look at World War I Bi-Planes. Often they had a squadron theme which could then be customized on an individual basis. It carried into WW2 as well. I think maybe the artist of those mechs used them as a basis, and I approve since they look very nice on a mech.

Having said that, I love that Jagermech on that link.

EDIT: It would be cool if people could modify or add textures really easily derk. One of my favorite things of the old Red Baron II game of 2000 was that the plane textures were in a format paint could read, and it had options to import the texture to "paint" the plane. That not only allowed customization but also allowed almost anyone with a computer to do it, since paint could read it. I know MSpaint sucks, but even if you have to use photoshop instead to get the right format it would be cool.
Duuvian

Postby felderup » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:42 am

maybe tga's, something vector based, those can be edited on something waaaay better than regular paint. paint.net support tga's?
felderup

Postby Duuvian » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:27 am

Here is a youtube video of a large number of replica world war 1 planes. They really are beautiful in the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeflHKIlGsI
Duuvian

Postby Hana Yuriko » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:40 am

Those images look like my earliest models for IS3028. I basically built the low poly model, then recreated the line art from the TRO images onto the textures.

As long as the shape and lines match, you pretty much have "canon" design.
Hana Yuriko

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:45 am

Well... The texture is really simple, just a single metal material, no bump map, a simple rust/wear and tear effect and a second kind of material for the joints, with a simple cockpit colour blend.

It'd be really simple to do. However it maybe wouldn't look as nice because the mechs in the document have low detail, but they do have smooth curves, something impossible with low poly mechs.

For the custom textures perhaps Derk could include an extra PNG file called Custom or similar for each mech, and then an individual user just edits the texture and then saves over the Custom file.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby adamsderk » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:10 pm

Guys (and Gal),

I would love to have customizable textures, but...

TGE only supports single file textures.

I can generate textures on the fly, but it takes time, and can only be done before the combat game.

Any custom texture would have to be sent across the network to each player before they could "drop." Those are big files.

So, for single player only it would be fine. But for multi-player it would be horrible. And since the same system serves both single and multi-player, I have dropped to the lowest requirements.

Thanks.

P.S. But I can't say I won't revisit it in the future and possibly come up with a procedural way to make them (each client would create the texture based on a few numbers instead of transferring the entire binary file)
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby felderup » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:50 pm

if the textures were to be in a single directory, you could rename the directory with a side app, want winter textures, copy /wintter-ttextures over /textures(though in *nix that would work differently). i myself would have a hard time giving a left peanut if my enemy textures were all puce with robin blue soil and black warehouses, as long as i like what's on my system. however, being able to see the same textures would be good, a note passed between systems about what texture set is being used, and having the option to sync, would be nice.
felderup

Postby Moses » Mon May 05, 2008 10:39 pm

adam u can bake textures together before the game is starting , great how about doing this with a defined number of texturs, lets say 1 to 4 and a detail-layer, each texture could be adjusted how much it affects the the layes already baked together be fore its get applied.

this way u only need to transfer 4 texture-ids and 4 percentsgevalues + a offsetcolor (if u like) to the other players, each client bakes the textures together on its own before the game stats.

should look pretty nice, and the more basic camos u include the more combination-possiblilities the players get.
Moses

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Tue May 06, 2008 11:16 am

Well, I'm working on a Battletech animation project right now, but I'll revisit this idea later...

I made a procedural texture setup for a program I use, but it was a little too complex for others to use.

Check here for an idea of how the realistic textures can work out combined with a detailed model...

Wasp
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Fri May 23, 2008 2:29 pm

Well, I've pretty much perfected my technique now, so I guess it's time to make a template which can be passed on to other users.

The Setup I currently use is a little too complex, and causes the program I use to crash about 90% of the time (though not before I can extract the maps I need).

This weekend I'll work on a new setup, optimized for 1024x1024 sized textures and designed to be fast and efficient.

My current setup uses 5 different "materials" plus extra decals.

For the new one I'm going to cut that down to about 4 including decals. That'll mean you only have to allocate the 4 different materials process the textures and then bake the model. Should be a quick process.

The test model will likely be the thor/loki, which I intend to build as one modular model.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby elitewolverine » Sat May 24, 2008 8:46 am

i like your idea, i would love to be able to use your textures with my texture technique and put them together....

if you have some already made textures your going to use send them over to me via png if you could and i would love to incorporate it into the warhammer and kodiak im making plus the others i have planned...

since im here do you know the colors for the different factions?
elitewolverine

Postby felderup » Sat May 24, 2008 9:55 pm

felderup

Next

Return to Artwork