it's good
60%
I prefer a realistic style
40%

Total votes : 5

Postby Matti » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:42 pm

Hana Yuriko wrote:I'm working on "Sphere in Flames 2"

What's that thing? Is it a game?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Matti

Postby Hana Yuriko » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:58 pm

Matti wrote:

http://www.mekwars.org/mwtracker.html

Sphere in Flames: 3067, the forums for that server are at Clan Homeworlds. http://www.clanhomeworlds.net/forums/index.php
Hana Yuriko

Postby Matti » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:52 pm

Hana Yuriko wrote:
Matti wrote:

http://www.mekwars.org/mwtracker.html

Sphere in Flames: 3067, the forums for that server are at Clan Homeworlds. http://www.clanhomeworlds.net/forums/index.php

So will it be just splash screen, like Encounter for TAC:Invasion 3049? Prolly that too... anything else?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Matti

Postby Hana Yuriko » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:11 am

The SiF image will pretty much be just a splash screen image. I've done most of them that are used for the TAC group of servers.

The only other project I'm working on is the MegaMek 3D conversion. BeeRockxs already has a number of lowpoly designs and put them in his test bed. Five Mechs, one for each weight class inclding a Quad, plus three vehicles (tracked, wheeled and hover) and a VTOL.

I was trying out a texture technique recently to make the process simple and work with MM3D. Using the texture layer system in the JAVA code for some potential effects (aside camo overlays which are in now, possibly damage textures as well). So far I have a start. Something to build off of:

http://lizzy777.googlepages.com/preview.jpg

I'm trying to make as many lowpoly models I can. All of them under 1,000 polygons. Depending on how I lay out the U/V maps, I can add as much or as little detail using pre-rendered greeble sets without having to hand draw every line and detail, or even building highpoly models like I did for IS3028.

Right now I'm just feeling things out. I'm sure I'll figure out something that'll eventually be incorporated into MM3D.
Hana Yuriko

Postby Matti » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:38 am

Hana Yuriko wrote:The SiF image will pretty much be just a splash screen image.

So otherwise you aren't involved with the server as assistant @dmin or else?

The only other project I'm working on is the MegaMek 3D conversion. BeeRockxs already has a number of lowpoly designs and put them in his test bed. Five Mechs, one for each weight class inclding a Quad, plus three vehicles (tracked, wheeled and hover) and a VTOL.

Sounds good. This doesn't look bad either, and I'd like to have it as alternative option over real 3d models for lesser hardware requirements (BeeRockxs just might like that as well).

I take it making those models isn't as easy as having program reduce polycount of existing models?

MekWars
Matti

Postby Hana Yuriko » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:33 am

Matti wrote:So otherwise you aren't involved with the server as assistant @dmin or else?

This doesn't look bad either, and I'd like to have it as alternative option over real 3d models for lesser hardware requirements (BeeRockxs just might like that as well).

I take it making those models isn't as easy as having program reduce polycount of existing models?

Nope. No @ titles or anything like that. I was a mod for S7 when it was up. Might be one for Noreven but my account has probably long since been deleted due to inactivity.

Building lowpoly models is easy. You take the basic shapes and put them together. What you say sounds even more complicated. I can crack out a lowpoly design that resembles a 'mech, tank, or whatever in under twenty minutes (usually). Since the polygon count is so low, applying a U/V map can take another ten minutes. Depending on how much detail the texture needs, that part can take the longest.
Hana Yuriko

Postby Matti » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:48 am

Hana Yuriko wrote:Building lowpoly models is easy. You take the basic shapes and put them together. What you say sounds even more complicated.

That sounds like Hunchback and Swaybacks are going to look same :?

MekWars
Matti

Postby Hana Yuriko » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:00 am

Matti wrote:That sounds like Hunchback and Swaybacks are going to look same :?

There's only one variant that's a "Swayback." Also I'm guessing you've never seen my HBK models. The base model which is used in BTS.
http://lizzy777.googlepages.com/Hunchies.jpg

Look, if you don't like my idea, you don't HAVE to play this new version of MegaMek. Get in touch with BeeRockxs (you certainly have access to the forum) and offer your own ideas instead of criticizing mine. This whole thing is new and different and I'm just trying to add in my own talents. Whether they get used or not.

It's an open source project, you want to include some ideas, then do it. Stop pissing on mine.
Hana Yuriko

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:56 am

What the * is a swayback?

Most of the mechs in Megamek look the same anyway, despite a slight variation in the graphics to represent different variants. Being able to identify the base chassis would be a great improvement.

Even in BTS I can't tell what Variant I'm fighting against until I'm like 100meters away, or if it fires at me first. A bunch of incomming LRMs or PPC bolts are the best indicator of a non standard variant.

Besides you can fit quite a lot of detail in to a 1000 poly mech if you have a good texture.

I posted these already in this thread but check out this guy's very low poly Battlemechs, here we're talking about less than 500 poly's...!
Smoking_Mirror

Postby elitewolverine » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:19 am

true 1000s polys is a good amount but, even those 500polys while although the texture is great, the 'style' doesnt call for more...and even then Classic design as what we are going for, calls for more polys, because theres simply alot of detail that gets missed out on, or replaced to fit the low poly mark, and things that should be round are square etc and well again robs the art style in a way...

there is only so much a texture can do

but unfortunately some of these mechs have lots of detail that 1k seems to rob them of that uniqueness sometimes...and eventually it feels like its the same here and there because of it...

but i think 1500k is a great target, it allows certain dimensions and things like that, that imo do great to satisfy the visual of the actual mech and still allowing a great texture to come out without "complicating it"

but in the end it comes down to preference i guess. When i see like a round weapon, i wanna see a round weapon and will sacrifice going from 5 sided circle to 8 or even 12, despite the poly count going up. Sure 5 'looks' round in a sense but 8 is better and 12 is much better 16 is outstanding....etc...but when working within limits, when you go for visual aspects (especially round ones) you have to be very good at making up those polys else where...

my two cents though? limits are there to be stretched, its in my hopes that even though we dont have to go to 2k or etc, that limit should be approached so that in upcoming years/months etc, the models are still great and it doesnt fall under the "oh that looks nice for a kid game" idea, which unfortunately low polies tend to fall under
elitewolverine

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:12 pm

Well, these are the latest. I think I've got the texture builder as good as it's going to get. There's still a problem with the seams being too prominent, but with it I can build a texture in less than an hour, so it beats making them by hand.

I'm making an animation using these mechs, I don't want to have to make additional models for the animation, so I'm doubling up.

The Champion is 1114 triangles and the King crab (my second version) is 1392 triangles. It seems that the King crab just can't be bought down to the same level of detail as the other mechs. This time I've added a limited torso twist ability, perhaps up to about 15 degrees. The lower rear torso is separate so allows the twist.

Smoking_Mirror

Postby Hana Yuriko » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:59 am

That's pretty good. Maybe you can texture my lowpoly models? I can't seem to get Mapzone to work properly.

The models I'll build for MM3D can be sectioned and used in BTS by someone else. I plan to start with TRO 3039 (essentially TRO 2750, 3025 and 3028 reprinted into a single volume). Then jump to 3050 since they're the more common units used in MegaMek.
Hana Yuriko

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:38 am

Yeah, Mapzone can be a pain in the arse to get working the first couple of times, and I often have problems with it crashing or freezing up on me, but I seem to have got to a good ballance with it now.

With the champion I added an extra hundred or so triangles last night just to improve the shape of the rear engine sections. They were just a bit too sharp so I subdivided and stretched out. I'm pretty happy with how the champion turned out, but I still have some reservations about the king crab. Deciding what to do about the cockpit was trouble (as with many mechs, it's not clear what is cockpit and what is vent/ random indentation) and the large flat area on the back posed a problem too. How can you fill a big space like that, keep the shape of the mech but keep it interesting?

If you send me some low poly mechs I can have a run at doing some basic fast textures.

Most of the 3039 mechs are repeated in TRO 3050, so there will only be a few left by the time you've covered TRO 3039. However, there are a lot of mechs there so that could be a mamoth task in itself. ^-^
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Hana Yuriko » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:10 am

Smoking_Mirror wrote:If you send me some low poly mechs I can have a run at doing some basic fast textures.

Most of the 3039 mechs are repeated in TRO 3050, so there will only be a few left by the time you've covered TRO 3039. However, there are a lot of mechs there so that could be a mamoth task in itself. ^-^

Mechs and Vehicles! Mammoth task indeed. I'll download your texture template and arrange the U/V map accordingly. That way we'll have some compatibility.
Hana Yuriko

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:39 am

OK, awesome, that saves half the time for me right there. just remember, try not to have any overlapping polygons (like the traditional method of UV mapping which unwraps from view, so that if a poly is occluded by another closer to the camera, they overlap on the sheet). This causes trouble with the light baking, which is essential for getting that realistic look to the finished texture, so that the texture looks like a 3d object rather than just painted.
Smoking_Mirror

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork