For those working on art content.

What do you think of this design style?

it's good
60%
I prefer a realistic style
40%

Total votes : 5

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:48 am

This weekend, I've been rigging and preparing some models for an animation that I've been working on.

The flip side of that is that I've had a lot of practice with preparing a universal skeleton. I'm going to try out the Blender Exporter for Torque and see If I can rustle something up in the way of animations.

The question is, how are the animations handled in Torque?

For example, in Blender, for my animations I've handled all upper body animations by parenting the spine to an "aim" bone which is set to always point to a set target. The target moves around, but there is no actual animation of the upper body. It's all acomplished by adjusting the settings on the follow target constraint.

The aim bone is parented to a root bone which controls the movement of the upper body and lower body. When the mech falls over, it's the "root" bone which is moved.

How about in BTS? is there any special animation for the upper body? How about left and right torso twist? is it handled by animations or by in game mechanics?
Smoking_Mirror

Postby adamsderk » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:21 pm

Smoking_Mirror,

Oh, animations are a lot of fun :)

The best way to learn is to see it already done. If you can install MilkShape, I can send you a file with the animations. You would have 30 days to explore it before Milkshape expires.

You will also need the Blender to DTS exporter which has a few bugs in it.

Are you able to do that?

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:27 pm

OK derk, I've got milkshape and the bender DTS exporter. Can you E-mail me the animations and I'll take a look at them.

You can see the sort of anmation style I've been working on here.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby SandMan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:36 pm

Smoking_Mirror wrote:You can see the sort of anmation style I've been working on here.

So... that was pretty hott.

//SandMan
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby adamsderk » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:51 pm

Smoking_Mirror,

I have sent you the animation file for the Archer. It has my preliminary fall and getup animations as well.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby adamsderk » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:03 pm

Smoking_Mirror,

Your email address listed on your profile bounces back. Where should I send the info?

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:37 pm

You should be able to get them through to me on the address you've used before.

Don't forget that most E-mail providers set a limit on how much you can receive. I think G-mail allows up to 20 megs. my hotmail address only allows 2 megabytes. If it's above that you could temporarily host on Mediafire or another hosting site and just send me the link.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Matti » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:34 am

Hana Yuriko wrote:START THREAD HIJACK MODE:

I just started butting in on the 3D project. Sent them a few models, five I made for BTS actually, and BeeRockxs was able to incorporate them into the game.

How does it come along? 3d map interface works, but there still ain't any 3d unit counters :(
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Matti

Previous

Return to Artwork