Dropships and you (56K warning)

For those working on art content.

Dropships and you (56K warning)

Postby Stormwolf » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:48 pm

Hello there my fellow BTS crew members, I've been away for a while, butn now I'm back with some new goodies.

Behold:

It's a rather crappy dropship I made back in the infant days of BTS that needs a skin, some rescaling and remodeling.

i'll be working on the following ships in the future:

Union
Union C
Overlord
Overlord C
Leopard (maybe, since we already have a model)
Broadsword

And for the people who are wondering about how I got the ship ingame.

I installed the DTS exporter plugin for 3DS Max 7 and replaced the HPG building with it.
Last edited by Stormwolf on Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormwolf

Postby adamsderk » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:42 pm

SW,

You may think is looks crappy, but it looks beautiful to me.

Once you have a model you like, talk with me about how to make it so the players "drop" inside the dropship and have to make their way out.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby felderup » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:17 am

it looks like it's got a real nice distance fog over it, even if it did have a crappy texture, at that distance the fog would cover it, got a nice effect. for dropping out of the dropship, maybe just doors on the periphery with elevators, no walking to an exit needed, less strength needed for the floors of a real one.
felderup

Re: Dropships and you

Postby Matti » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:45 pm

Stormwolf wrote:It's a rather crappy dropship I made back in the infant days of BTS that needs a skin, some rescaling and remodeling.

Scale seems fine to me. Don't make it small like in MW computer games, keep it big & natural scale. I wonder, how big would Mammoth look like... :shock:

felderup wrote:for dropping out of the dropship, maybe just doors on the periphery with elevators, no walking to an exit needed

References please ;)
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Matti

Postby Stormwolf » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:25 pm

adamsderk wrote:SW,

You may think is looks crappy, but it looks beautiful to me.

Once you have a model you like, talk with me about how to make it so the players "drop" inside the dropship and have to make their way out.

Thanks.

I made a ton of mistakes when I fist made the model (part of the learning process). But I've got the knowhow to create a brand new spheroid dropship with internal mechcradles and all.

And to give a update, the Clan Broadsword is nearly ready, it only needs to get textures for the interior and slicing into the various sections. Although the cockpit needs to get remodeled a bit.

Stormwolf

Postby adamsderk » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:36 pm

SW,

Getting excited about dropships again.

Looking great.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Stormwolf » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:49 pm

Nearly finished, it only needs doors.

Stormwolf

Postby Stormwolf » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:38 pm

The general model has been finished, now I only need to slice it into sections and mail it to Derk :wink:

Stormwolf

Postby Stormwolf » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:45 pm

The Broadsword has been finished, now I'm moving on to the Inner Sphere Union Class.

Here's mech cradle with a temp skin which I'll also be using in all the IS spheroid dropships (The Clans will get a different design).

The Union Class itself is still in its early stage, but here's early WIP shot:

Here's a shot of the Fighter bay at the top:

And here's a topdown view of the interior(I deleted the top part of the dropship to make this shot):

The main mechbay (which will hold 8 mechs) will remain unchanged. The secondary mechbay designed for 4 mechs will be sharing some cargo crates in the hold.

The Union Class entry on in TRO 3057 mentions that the mech cubicles are lined against the walls and are lowerd by massive cranes. But I doubt that this can be practically done in the game, so I'll be lining them against the center wall and the outer walls to get the space I need.
Stormwolf

Postby felderup » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:24 pm

maybe they mean that they're on a lazy susan, and there's support equipment in a core, and maybe they mean gantry cranes, those would work in the confined space.
felderup

Postby Stormwolf » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:39 pm

Slowly getting there:

It only needs some tweaking in the skin, mechcradels on the interior, engines and doors.

Also the internal part of the ship will get its own seperate skin like the Broadsword did.
Stormwolf

Postby Matti » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:32 pm

Can we have screenshot of DS in landing platform? :D
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Matti

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:29 pm

Hey, When it's finished, if you send me the 3ds I can do a light bake of the textures if you like. You can maybe do it in your own program if you know how. I think it makes for a more attractive final product.
Smoking_Mirror

Return to Artwork