Stock Weapons/Variants....?

For those working on art content.

Stock Weapons/Variants....?

Postby elitewolverine » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:52 am

Was wondering as we build the models, how productive/reasonable/sensible how ever you want to put it, would it be to build the stock/variants weapons along with the model...

meaning the weapons are different objects/files that are mounted only for that specific mech in stock configuration....

ie, if a mech has a ppc in the right arm as its stock configuration, then it would have its own "custom" ppc model, but if it wants to mount a ERLL and it doesnt have one in its variants, then it would use the normal ERLL models that we have....

hope that was clear lol....just asking cause as im building the models i noticed i was building the stock variant with weapons as part of the 2k poly limits...without them my warhammer for example goes from some 1980 polys to like 1700 or less without its stock weapons...

how hard/feasible would it be to do this idea? for the warhammer i already have the weapons as seperate .obj files, and i dont mind doing it for future models if you wish...
elitewolverine

Postby adamsderk » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:42 pm

Elitewolverine,

Considering there are over 70 different weapons and over 300 different mech chassis for over 1000 variants, it just isn't practical. Especially since I would have to define each "special" model as a separate object in the game.

On a smaller scaled game, it makes sense, but on my scale it is a lot over overhead.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:07 pm

You can leave them on to help Derk and sandman position the weapon objects. It's more practical to just add weapon mounts, such a stump on the shoulder for attaching the missile pods.

If you do leave them on, make sure they don't use up too much UV texture space and that they are a seperate object, clearly names so they can be removed later when adding them to the game.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby SandMan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:00 am

With regard to naming things in models: I'd like to take a moment to point out that Smoking_Mirror's models take about 1/2 the time to process as almost everyone else's, because things are usually already named and cut up properly. It's not a requirement that you be as thorough, but it's the modeling equivalent of coming home to find my bed made up and a chocolate on my pillow.
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby elitewolverine » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:54 am

SandMan wrote:With regard to naming things in models: I'd like to take a moment to point out that Smoking_Mirror's models take about 1/2 the time to process as almost everyone else's, because things are usually already named and cut up properly. It's not a requirement that you be as thorough, but it's the modeling equivalent of coming home to find my bed made up and a chocolate on my pillow.

sandman deal, lol i know entirely what you mean....i tried to use the naming that was posted as a sticky and cut up for front/back...

as well im making a file for each factions materials that i was able to find from the game files i used the mech awesome for me to go off of in terms of camo/colors...this way once i get the uv model done ill just render each factions material save to png and help you out in that way as well...

but sure ill leave the weapons on for help with placement of them, hell you can even use them in the game...if you want....

maybe sometime down the line once the game is 'finished' we could gather data from different mechs as to where the Weapons were made and by what manufactuer, this way they could choose which one they wanted. Of course it would be purely asthetic but it would be fun, and classic board game style hehehe...hey never hurts to ask lol
elitewolverine

Return to Artwork