Weapon models.

For those working on art content.

Weapon models.

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:32 am

I'm making an animation using some of the mechs I've made recently, the earlier high poly mechs proved too detailed to work with easily, so I've been rethinking the animation.

Anyway, I need to build a full set of weapons using the texturizer that I prepared. They'll also be useful for BTS.

So... I need to know what is the full list of weapons needed. What are the specifications for the models and texture?

Right now I can think of;

Hatchet
Sword
(Tree club?)

Lasers
>Small
>Medium
>Large
Pulse Lasers
>Small
>Medium
>Large
ER Lasers
>Small
>Medium
>Large
Heavy Lasers
>Small
>Medium
>Large

Auto Cannon
>AC2
>AC5
>AC10
>AC20
LBX AC
>AC2
>AC5
>AC10
>AC20
Ultra AC
>AC2
>AC5
>AC10
>AC20
Rotary AC
>AC2
>AC5

Gauss Rifle
>Light Gauss
>Gauss Rifle
>Heavy Gauss

Light Machine Gun
Machine Gun
Heavy Machine Gun
Flamer

PPC
Light PPC
ER PPC

Narc Beacon

SRM
>SRM2
>SRM4
>SRM6
Streak SRM
>SRM2
>SRM4
>SRM6

LRM
>LRM5
>LRM10
>LRM15
>LRM20
Clan LRM
>LRM5
>LRM10
>LRM15
>LRM20

MRM
>MRM10
>MRM20
>MRM30
>MRM40
ATM
>ATM3
>ATM6
>ATM9
>ATM12

Arrow V

Do you want to add things like Beagle Probes and AMS?
What do you want to do about round vs square LRM launchers? Shall I make all the IS LRM launchers round? Or simply make Round and Square launchers rather than clan and IS?

I'm going to mak
Last edited by Smoking_Mirror on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby felderup » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:53 am

and don't forget the sloped missile launchers.
felderup

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:49 pm

Actually considering some more, I'm just going to make a single set of missile launchers, round and square, SRM, SSRM and LRM. Not Clan and IS. There will be one extra round SRM 6, and a round LRM15.

I've only been able to find a round LRM15, it doesn't seem to happen with LRM10s or LRM20s.

There's so many different shapes it's impossible to make them all. Often they are shaped to fit the mech, check out the LRM10s on the Avatar for example.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby felderup » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:42 pm

i think i've seen conical too, although, you could hide them behind a conical or sloped cover. i dunno, would burying the missile launcher inside of the chassis work?
felderup

Postby SandMan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:27 pm

There might soon be a desire for Light ACs, SN PPCs, HPPCs, and MMLs too.
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:07 pm

I wish I could find a good web site with real descriptions of the the more recent weapons. Pictures would be nice too.

I've seen the HAG 30 mentioned in the TRO's but I'm not sure what it is. I've heard hyper assault gun, which is like a LBX Gauss, but there seems to be no more information.

Also how about the plasma cannon? It was in the Mekpak addition to mechwarrior 4, but I don't know if it's cannon. Same goes for cluster bombs, flare launchers, bombast lasers, artillery beacons and some other stuff which was in Mechwarrior 4 but looks suspiciously un-cannon.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Hana Yuriko » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:53 am

Smoking_Mirror wrote:I wish I could find a good web site with real descriptions of the the more recent weapons. Pictures would be nice too.

I've seen the HAG 30 mentioned in the TRO's but I'm not sure what it is. I've heard hyper assault gun, which is like a LBX Gauss, but there seems to be no more information.

Also how about the plasma cannon? It was in the Mekpak addition to mechwarrior 4, but I don't know if it's cannon. Same goes for cluster bombs, flare launchers, bombast lasers, artillery beacons and some other stuff which was in Mechwarrior 4 but looks suspiciously un-cannon.

Take a look in TechManual for canon cannons.
Hana Yuriko

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:30 pm

Just an update, I did make a set of weapons, but they were a little too high poly of BTS so they ended up just being used for my animation.

However, when I was doing it, I noticed that it's easy to do a few basic parts and then use them to make a whole range of click together weapons, kind of like lego. Will have another go later.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:02 am

Made a set of weapons, they are fairly low poly and arranged to use the best use of space on the texture map.

Just noticed that I forgot hatchet, sword and tree club. Also forgot flamer.

Some of the models can double as others and it's pretty easy to use the base parts to make whole new weapons without changing the texture map.

Here's a wide preview;

And a close up of the energy weapons and ACs. I've included Rotary ACs and also heavy lasers and ATMs. The different types of laser have different colour lenses, which can be changed easily, I wasn't sure which colour is used in game. However there are just 5 different colours.

I've also added detail to the rear and sides of the missile packs so that they look good no matter where they are mounted on the chassis.

The base colour works the same as that of my mechs and can be changed. It would be possible to create a texture for each faction for example, though perhaps not economical.

ps. since posting this I've shrunk the girth of the Gauss Rifle. It was too fat. Still not sure about the Autocannons. It's difficult to show a real progression all the way up to AC20 without getting a bit crazy.

Edit;
Just realized that I forgot the tube mounted LRM 10... Nuts. Oh well, I can redo the texture pretty easy, I'll use the LRM 20 to provide the LRM texture (just the inner holes) and rework the LRM 5 to be an LRM 10.

Edit 2; the tube mounted LRM 20 and LRM 15 are switched, I put the wrong face on each mount. Also the LRM 15 has only 14 holes. Forgot the middle one, so can't use that as an LRM 5...
Last edited by Smoking_Mirror on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:32 am

I think I'm going to rework the whole set actually.

I think after two attempts I can make much better use of the texture, and save a lot of polys too.

Yesterday I tried mounting these weapons on a mech and I wasn't happy with it. The guns are too stubby, they don't have long enough barrels.

Derk, is it possible to have two different versions of each weapon? A compact one which is mounted directly in the chassis or on the end of a wrist, and a second version which is prepared with a robust external mount for placement on a shoulder or the outside of the arm.

It would be easy to make the variants, the difficulty would be in coding double the number of mounts.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby adamsderk » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:03 am

Smoking_Mirror,

The weapons look good, so send them my way when your are satisfied.

The embedded and surface mounted weapons are the same. If they are embedded, most of the weapon is covered by the chassis model, only when they are on the surface can you see the weapon model. I don't understand how a "compact" model would be a benefit.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:47 am

I can't show you right now what I mean about having two different types of weapons, but the mechwarrior Living legends modular weapons system illustrates it quite well.

Modular weapons

I don't suggest using their system, it's too clunky and doesn't allow true battletech rules constructions.

But having a "mount"system might be a good idea. This would be a dummy weapon with a set length which can be placed on the shoulder or as a forearm replacement, with the weapon "stub" then mounted on this dummy. This would allow missiles or large weapons to be mounted much more smoothly than having the weapons stub simply bolted on to the mech.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:39 am

Hi, Finished making the models for the various weapons, (need to do the light and heavy gauss variants though, as well as the arrow IV and a few of the vehicle mounted weapons, such as the artillery guns).

Not sure about the scale yet, need to fiddle with that a bit more. I also need to chop the weapons up in to separate objects and name them, as currently they are one big object for the convenience of building.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:37 am

Here's the weapons I've been working on. They still look good at 256x256 texture resolution.

I've included every kind of weapon I can think of. Including Hag40, plasma cannon, heavy machine guns, advanced tactical missiles and even a "magic box" to represent BAP probe, TAG or ECM.

And here's the 3ds file with textures.
Weapons.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:58 am

Forgot the NARC beacon!

Anyway, I've been trying these out on different models and I'm still not happy with the result.

I think all the ballistic weapons need to have a minimum length, about half the length of the longest weapon. That way it's easy to recess the guns in the fore arms or gun pods of various designs without them looking too long or short.

Here's some examples of what they look like mounted on mechs;

You can also see here what I'm talking about with the dummy mount. It would be a special extra weapon for mechs like the catapult, Rakshasa, madcat etc... which have shoulder mounted pods.

This makes the join of the weapons to the torso much more smooth and realistic. Here I've made use of the ubiquitous magic box as a electronics package, on the standard Rakshasa it is serving as a representation of the Artemis missile guidance system.
Smoking_Mirror

Next

Return to Artwork