My Buildings thread

For those working on art content.

My Buildings thread

Postby elitewolverine » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:06 am

Well while finishing up the kodiak blackjack for sending to adam on monday i was trying to think of what to build next...

i have a few mechs in the works but at the same time i was figuring well we have plenty of mechs that there is not "rush" to get them all done, as current standing probably the most impressive 3d mech collection for any single battletech based game...

so i decided to do some buildings, and this will be my thread for any building i create...

i have no idea how up to date that list is but these are huge buildings as they produce mechs, and not one at a time either...as well as they should house alot of mechs all at different phases construction...

here was my idea for 1 of 4 Mech Factories....i dont know the poly limit on buildings, but for a building this big for interior and exterior im aiming for under 1k finished...but before i go futher let me know what you think...those small things are 4 of my warhammers gaurding the hangar door openings

elitewolverine

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:54 am

Looks cool, I've been working on some buildings as well, though they are mostly civilian ones.

I think a mech factory would mostly be long, low sheds housing the production line. In these sheds the idividual parts, arms, legs, Omni mounts or whatever would be built bit by bit, moving down the line as they are constructed. Then the mechs would be constructed in a big assembly hall, maybe 3 or 4 at a time.

With the hall I'm thinking that it could maybe like an airplane assembly hanger, or a set of free standing outside gantries.

Smoking_Mirror

Postby Matti » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:27 am

Smoking_Mirror wrote:Then the mechs would be constructed in a big assembly hall, maybe 3 or 4 at a time.

Note: That might apply for light 'Mechs, but amount of assault 'Mechs coming from factory in one year can be counted with fingers of one hand (at least in year 3025). Furthermore, don't expect that all the actuators, engines, gyroscopes, control systems, electronics and weapons are being built in same factory as 'Mechs. At least in 3025 it was often (there are exceptions) more desired to prevent construction of 'Mechs by raiding such parts over destroying the actual 'Mech factory.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Matti

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:11 pm

Yes, as with Airplanes in RL. The Individual parts are made in many different places and then transported to the assembly plant.

It might be an idea to make separate "Parts factory" and "assembly yard/shed". Of course for games mechanics point of view it doesn't really matter, but it's nice to be accurate.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby adamsderk » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:32 pm

Elitewolverine,

The buildings are pretty big and won't fit into my current terrain modeling. However, I'm planning on changing my terrain modeling, so these will be a good option.

Keep going. Just remember to texture them inside and out, and make each building a separate object (including the doors). I want buildings to be destroyable as well as explorable.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:00 pm

I think it will be a good idea to make them big in floor plan, but not to include too many multiple levels.

Also remember that for collision purposes you may have to work with convex closed objects. Think of them as lego blocks...

Check this site for more information about that.

Torque FAQ
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Matti » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:24 pm

Smoking_Mirror wrote:Yes, as with Airplanes in RL. The Individual parts are made in many different places and then transported to the assembly plant.

Assembly plant can be as simple as 'Mech bay aboard DropShip. If there are appropriate parts available (including toros locations), entire 'Mechs can be assembled in there. There are even rules for how long what procedure would take (BMR Revised now)... oh excuse me, I got distracted a bit :oops:

adamsderk wrote:Just remember to texture them inside and out, and make each building a separate object (including the doors). I want buildings to be destroyable as well as explorable.

Now when you mentioned it, how about making those individual objects destroyable, like wall and door surrounding military base right now?

And next question: how about moving inside the building, LOS routines and damage taken while inside the building? Large chunk of Total Warfare describes about those: I got headache when reading about area effect weapon effects for multihex and multilevel building where are various units inside :shock:
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Matti

Postby adamsderk » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:41 pm

Smoking_Mirror,

The convex rules don't apply to destroyable objects, only static interior objects. The complex would be built of separate objects for each building block. Each building block would take damage as a single object. Each building block could have 10 invisible collision boxes.

Elitewolverine,

Just model each building to be able to stand alone (so don't join them) and texture them inside and out. I will worry about the collision boxes.

Matti,

The wall and doors around the base are destroyable; they are just hardened and take a lot of damage to destroy (the doors are weaker than the walls). They change color just like other destroyable objects too.

My point is to make everything in the game destroyable and as such I have shot myself in the foot by not being able to use interiors which take a lot less processing.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby elitewolverine » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:40 pm

yes this is the biggest factory, as i have 4 planned right now.

and thanks for letting me know about keeping them seperate objects...

my plan for the factorys were going to be that the main assemply area would be assesable and the "civilian" area not.

right now the center skinny parts are the assembly area, the part off to the right is the offices etc that are part of the plant, and the ones with the stacks where they make most of the parts....

in 3025 and even pre-3025, its well known that simply destroying a factory could wipe out plans/entire runs of battlemechs. Meaning after the plant that would produce them got destroyed, the mech would no longer be made. and the mech apparantly "lost"

I made this the biggest as i felt that it wouldnt be producing just one mech, like most "light" factories were doing in 3025 era, but one of the few large ones that supplied multiple mechs ie the Ford Plant etc...

Since im here, how about a small "training" base like in mechwarrior 3? Ive modeled it abit but didnt want to keep going if that would be a lost cause...

it would be a spire like in mechwarrior 3, using 3 of them to hold a total of 12-15 mechs for training grounds...
elitewolverine

Postby adamsderk » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:04 am

Elitewolverine,

If you are having fun, then sure keep making them. The issue is re-usability. Since I don't have "maps" like most games, I need to be able to build the environments through code.

There is a lot that I still want to do with the environments, so the sky is the limit.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby elitewolverine » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:00 am

and here is one of the medium factorys...wanna do one more medium then a light factory...so that there would be 1xLrg, 2xMed, 1xLt, sizes...

its not much yet but right now im getting the feel for the building modeling etc, compared to well mech modeling lol...

any how the roof was set to transparent to show inside...

elitewolverine

Return to Artwork