Flashman and Clint; Complete.

For those working on art content.

Flashman and Clint; Complete.

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:16 pm

ImageImage

faces(triangles); 1064

ImageImage

faces(triangles); 1060

Here's the Flashman, one year in the making...

Flashman files.

And the clint. One of my favourite mech designs.

Clint Files.

When assembling the textures they should go, from top to bottom;

>cockpit
>rust
>logo (faction)
>decals
>base
>camo

I've included the cockpit as a seperate layer so that you can easily change the colour to better suit different faction schemes. For example, Jade falcon, with Green camo needs a complementary colour for the cockpit. I recommend blue or pink/red. Whilst comstar with it's white camo could do well with orange or red.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby elitewolverine » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:40 am

they both look good...but when looking at the texture it seems like some of the armor plating is off, like tilted at a angle and doesnt go with the lines of the mechs arms or the things like that...

is there a way to better align them without to much trouble?

other than that the models look great
elitewolverine

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:37 am

There's no easy way to do it.

It's basically a trade off. when breaking up the sections of mesh and laying them out on the UV map you have to create seams between one face and another. These seams are very visible, and can look pretty ugly. So if you keep most faces together, then you avoid having too many seams.

But then if two faces are attached, and the angle between them is not 90 degrees, then the texture is "off".

I could lay out all the panels at 90 degrees, but there would be too many seams. I could unfold the whole mesh as a single peice, keeping the seams to a minimum, but the texture would not be at 90 degrees. So I go for a trade off between the two.

I figure "real" mechs would have a similar problem. You could create custom fitted panels, but they would be more expensive to produce and you wouldn't be able to trade them between different models. On the other hand you could produce a whole set of standardized panel sizes and shapes which can be fitted to any machine. Which is seemingly what happens, as that's the only way that it could be shared between different models.

Really, this texture production style is not perfect. I could produce something much more apealing if I did it all manually, it'd also take 30-50 times as long to make. So I go with this quick and efficient style.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby adamsderk » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:06 am

Guys,

And with 300+ Mechs, I'd prefer quick and efficient.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Return to Artwork