damaged!

For those working on art content.

damaged!

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:34 am

Derk, I know that you use a separate texture channel fr adding damage in BTS but what exactly does that entail? Right now the section is gradually mixed with plain black, but is it possible to mix with a PNG texture?

That's what I'm doing for my animations, I've even made a standard damage template for this purpose. So, the question is, can you use it?

Here's an example;
ImageImageImageImage

The advantage of this is that it retains some of the original texture. If you can use the extra texture channel as a UV mapped PNG texture I can send you the damage template.

I think maybe it'd take a little extra work and maybe some extra resources, but I think it'd be worth it.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:45 am

As you can see, it works on any mech with a UV channel...

ImageImage

And even mechs by other artists...

ImageImage
Smoking_Mirror

Postby SandMan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:00 am

That looks rather nice, actually!

//SandMan
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:28 am

Since I've been researching Torque for the blender export portion of this project I've noticed that you can't use multiple textures for each model so this idea can't be used.

However, according to this thread which I know derk has read because he's made a comment on it, you can hide and reveal meshes to show damage.

I'd love to implement this, it wouldn't take that much extra work for me to work up a 500 poly "damage mesh" for each mech representing each section in a damaged state. It woudn't need to be any where near the detail of the original mesh as it'd be mashed up already.

As the standard object name system would be used, there shouldn't be much difficulty coding it for one mech and then duplicating it for all. (I think ^-^)

Since most of my mechs are less than 1300 polys, an extra 300-500 would still be within the upper limit. Also with the processing reduction of triangle lists there shouldn't be any real impact on performance. I'll probably do an example picture later to show what it'd look like...
Smoking_Mirror

Postby adamsderk » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:29 am

Smoking_Mirror,

Yep, I even implemented it. The issue was that I needed a gradual change from fully functional to destroyed. With hiding mesh, there are jarring steps in between each level, and you are describing only two states.

By all means give it a try, I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:51 am

Yes, the wrecked object will suddenly change from being "fine" to "destroyed". but if you mix it with "darkening" so that as it's damaged it becomes darker, and then when it reaches the point of being destroyed, add a particle effect and switch the model part. It would happen for just that section of the mech at that time, rather than the whole thing being changed.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby adamsderk » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:12 pm

Smoking_Mirror,

Now I remember why I haven't used it. I am unable to get Milkshape to export multiple meshes and have them animate correctly. And without separate mesh, you can't turn them on and off. You might have more luck with the Blender exporter.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:32 pm

Yeah, should work fine, I'll try making a extra damage mesh when I send you the basic export, see what you can do with it.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby felderup » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:49 pm

maybe, those two sided mesh thingy's can be used, damage on the inside, pristine paint on the outside, set it to hide the outside mesh when damage occurs, maybe in the future we can have two models, one inside the other, the mechanical components a bit smaller than the shell.......ooh.
felderup

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:15 am

Yeah, that's kind of the idea. There will be a detailed original mesh, and then a much less detailed damage mesh. When a section of your mech is destroyed (loses all internal structure) it will be swapped out for the damaged section.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:11 am

Derk, talking of damage, can the Torque particles editor be tweaked to reference an object, or multiple objects to create an explosion effect? For example in Blender, when I'm putting together the particle effect for an explosion, I use an object such as a double sided flat shape which uses part of the original model's texture. That object (called Dberis or similar) is then instanced by blender and used as a particle.

That way, when the pristine model is seen to blow up and be replaced with a damaged model, the "debris" flies off in all directions and gives the apearence of the original object exploding.

I don't know anything about torque particles, and I'm unwilling to get bogged down in all of that, but if I have in idea of how they work, it will help me wehn designing the models which ar going to be damaged (making some buildings right now, and need to decide how to build the damaged version).
Smoking_Mirror

Postby adamsderk » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:27 pm

Smoking_Mirror,

Stock, there isn't a way to have "debris" from a model. At most, you can have a single png file that has the "shape" of the particle, for all the particles.

But if you make a big enough "bang" you can cover anything up :)

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:36 am

Been working on this some more.

I think having seperate parts for the left torso, back center torso etc.. is not going to work for the damage model, as it requires that each and every mesh be constructed with internal faces, otherwise you'd be able to see inside the model and that would look incredibly ugly.

Rather the damage (destroyed) model should be used to show legs and arms destroyed, and then if the mech itself is destroyed, the body and head can be swapped out for the destroyed version.

The mesh here is around 600 triangles. That means that with my mechs on average being 1200 polys the total tops out at around 1800. Of course only one mesh will be visible and rendered at a time so there shouldn't be any slowdown.

What do you think from a visual perspective;

Smoking_Mirror

Postby Veers » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:04 pm

It looks like a charred hulk of a 'mech :)
Veers

Return to Artwork