Wolfhound, Champion, Kingcrab; Complete!

For those working on art content.

Wolfhound, Champion, Kingcrab; Complete!

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:13 pm

Here are the next three designs.

Wolfhound.
ImageImage

The wolfhound has been under construction for some time. I've posted previews of it in several different forms, but this is an updated version, cleaned up the UV map a little, re textured and rearranged the head to allow for head twisting. 1086 triangles.

KingCrab.
ImageImage

The King crab was previously released as a different version, however that one was too high poly (near 2000) so I decided to revisit the design and try to cut it down to a more manageable polycount. Currently at 1392 triangles. I've also added the ability to torso twist on this version, though there's still not a lot of room to twist because of the close arrangement of the arms and legs, perhaps 15-20 degrees. Should allow for some maneuverability in close combat.

Champion.
ImageImage

The Champion is one of the designs which I'm most happy with. It was difficult finding good reference, so I had to take a few liberties, but I think I kept it close to the original design. Shame the mech is so terrible in CBT. A high speed mech with short range weapons, it's not well suited to a role as a brawler because of it's thin armour and no Jumpjets. Perhaps better with star league era equipment. It's worth noting that the Champion doesn't have any arm mounted weapons. I've interpreted the "wing" sections on either side as being the left and right torso where the SRM and AC 10 are mounted. The modules which hang down beneath are the upper arms. 1224 triangles.

And here are the files for download;

Wolfhound
King Crab
Champion

Next on the list;

Daishi
Warhawk
Thor
Loki
Vindicator
Re-seen wasp

I've also thought about making a Raven, Avatar and Sunder, just to give some late era Inner sphere designs.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby adamsderk » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:41 pm

Smoking_Mirror,

Looking good, keep them coming :)

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:07 am

Derk, hold off on adding any of these for a while, I'm testing a technique to get a better finish. I'm not happy with the mold lines (seams) on the final texture, but with just 10 minutes extra work I can bake the textures and get a near flawless finish. All you'll have to do is substitute two of the textures in each file with ones I provide. Flat.png will be replaced with bake_flat.png and rust.png (or detail.png) will be replaced with bake_rust.png

The appearance is much better overall. It highlights some of the more subtle details, whilst removing the ugly seams.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby adamsderk » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:17 am

Smoking_Mirror,

You have lots of time. I'm not going to add anything new until I get falling in and finalized. Then everything that is currently in will have to be redone.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:35 am

I've been reviewing animations in Blender, and I think I've got it worked out, but it's not exactly easy. Using IK style animations is going to slow development down a little, though overall things would look much better.
Smoking_Mirror

Return to Artwork