Can I help?

For those working on art content.

Can I help?

Postby YogSolthan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:18 am

Hello everyone,
I'm new here and I'm not sure this is the right place to post this.
I'm a member from the Mechwarrior 3 community project. In the craft section, we are making paper models of mechs.
When I saw this forum, I thought than it could be possible that what I've done could be used here.
I'm not sure it can be usefull for you as the meshes I've done them with metasequoia, in the *.MQO format.
Here is a list of my models :

Sirocco (textured):
Dragonfly, Man O'War, Gladiator:
Fenris:
I also modified and textured a Toyama but I'm not the author of the original mesh:

If my work can help you, I would be happy. If you use my models, I think they will have to be reworked to be compatible with your standard.
There are other modelers who create their own meshes in our community, they may be interested in working with you.

PS: sorry for my poor english, I'm from France and don't practise enough.
Last edited by YogSolthan on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
YogSolthan

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:29 am

Looks like a good match for poly count, not sure I know what program can handle that format though. Don't think blender can.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby YogSolthan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:41 pm

I don't know if anyone at mech3.org has a full version of metasequoia, but if someone has it, this file can be converted into 3ds or obj.
YogSolthan

Postby adamsderk » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm

YogSolthan,

I'd be happy to have any of the models that you made. They would need to be in either 3ds or obj to be pulled into our applications.

As another option, it is not glamorous, but you could work on buildings and other environmental objects.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby YogSolthan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:52 pm

Working on buildings can be interesting. We do not have a lot of buildings paper models. So if I can something usefull for you and for the papercraft community, I will be perfect.
I think I will finish my current work on mechs paper models first and then, I will try to create some buildings. Any need for a particular building?
YogSolthan

Postby adamsderk » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:57 pm

YogSolthan,

Sounds like a plan.

I leave it up to the artist to pick the buildings they want to make (keeps the morale up). Think about where you would like to have a Mech fight, and make them.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby YogSolthan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:42 pm

Sorry, for my silence. I haven't finished any building yet, I think I'm working on too many projects. I finished some other mech models. I will send you the one which interest you (Smoking_Mirror, Adamsderk or someone else) I can send the texture with it but I think they will look really poor and strange compared to the ones created by Smoking_Mirror.
A Raptor
A quickly done Naga with the legs of the Gladiator/Man O'War
An old Stalker
I don't know if you plan to use Dark Age era mechs but I've done a Mad Cat Mk.III

I've also worked on a Matador. I'm not the author of the original mesh but MonkeyRum gave me the permission to share it here.
YogSolthan

Postby adamsderk » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:14 pm

YogSolthan,

Feel free to send them to me. I'll farm them out to the artists if/when they are ready for them. Send your textures too, a poor texture is still better than no texture.

I take everything, if it is in the BT timeline (Dark Age included), I want it in the game.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:58 pm

That Naga looks pretty good actually, I like the texture.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby YogSolthan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:52 am

I've not touched any model for a long time since I was trying to scale mechs with each others to have a consistent reference to give a better height to the paper models. I used the 3D meshes to put them together and I don't have all the meshes but I've rescaled about 150 mechs.

But what I want to talk about is my new model. I've said I will send you a lot of thing but never done it but this time, the model has been made to be included into BTS, I've designed the texture to match the BTS format (a single file of 1024x1024). You can't see it on the image but the mapping is done, I "just" have to "fill" the blank texture. Once finished, the "only" thing that will be left is to animate it. I know it's not a simple thing but I've never done it and can't do it with metasequoia (the 3D program I use).

The mech is a TRO 3058 Devastator. This is a 100t assault mech and a old Star League design reborn by the FedComs.

PS: I will try to send you my textured models with the good format. I've found an easy way to rework the mapping with metasequoia.
YogSolthan

Postby adamsderk » Mon May 18, 2009 5:44 pm

YogSolthan,

Looks good. I look forward to the files.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby YogSolthan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:48 am

I'm still working on 3D models. I've just finished the Raptor texture. I have to rework the mapping to use a single 1024*1024 file for the texture, not 2 separate images as I've done.

The new project I'm working on is the Howler [Baboon]. My first model using a single 1024*1024 texture that will be finished.

As you can see it still need some work but will be over soon. Once done, I will post it here and will probably rework some old models to make them match your needs. I didn't send anything since the textures don't match what you need, I've used several files for all my models.
YogSolthan

Postby YogSolthan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:58 pm

The texture of the Howler [Baboon] is done. I haven't used layers with ligth effects, the base texture will be less complex than what I did for the Raptor.

PS: I will post here the 3D model with the base texture this evening (french time) to make it available to everyone. Feel free to use it and I will be happy if you give me credits (not sure it's the right way to say that).

EDIT: I've converted the Howler to 3ds format. I hope it has worked but I'm not sure the UV mapping is working. You will find the files here.
YogSolthan

Postby YogSolthan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:39 pm

I've finished the creation of the texture of another model. Let me introduce the Devastator. I've made a Lyran Alliance 1st Royal Guards skin inspired of a mini from Camospecs. The style is not different from what I've made for the Howler and the texture is a single 1024*1024 file too.

I will post the 3D model this evening.
YogSolthan

Postby YogSolthan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:55 am

A new model is done, this is the Mad Cat III from the Dark Age era. I've made several Dark Age skins.
I still have to figure how to keep the UV mapping when converting the MQO files into OBJ.

YogSolthan

Next

Return to Artwork