Mesh-Using Request or "The Papermech-Thread":)

Doesn't hurt to ask.

Mesh-Using Request or "The Papermech-Thread":)

Postby Flashhawk » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:35 am

Hy Folcs,
i dont know, if one of you ever stumbled upon this:
http://www.mechwarrior3.org/forums/inde ... wtopic=782

Zeck of Mech3.org has made these papermodels from selfmade meshes that he skined by using custom skins for MW3.
But as you all know, one person can only do one thing at a time, so i am asking you for some help.
So what do i think of? Of course i would like to ask you for your meshes and skins. They are all low-poly-meshes, so that they transform nicely (with some editing to ensure nothing is overlapping) into these papermodels. I checked it on some of the meshes that you have here on the forum, and it worked quite well. The only thing i need now are your permissions for wich i will grant total crediting of course. And i would like to ask if i could get all the meshes that are not posted here yet as well. I have extracted the meshes included in your demos to check your skins, but as i said i would never use one of those without permission.
If the papermodels that are going to be made this way are hosted on mech3.org, or if the will be hosted on a yet to be made website, is a decission i will make when i have something to host ;)
Thanks in advance
Flashhawk

PS:PM me for e-mail- or ICQ-contactinformation
Flashhawk

Postby Faolan_Conall » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:56 am

The problem with the meshes on here (such as mine.. and sorry for not replying to your PM, I thought I had), is that they don't have the weapons on them, which you'd probably want.

I'll contact you about it later, however, I will ask on behalf of all the modellers that you not use the models found here unless an individual author/modeller contacts you and sends you that mesh via Email or the like. It is flattering that you like our work enough to ask, and I/we appreciate your asking and being an honest gent, instead of just taking them.

A point to clarify, are you interested just in the 'mechs, or also the vehicles?

I will, I promise, get back to you this time, just for the moment I'm buried under mountains of stuff, models to do for this, tutorials to write, hand-painting several miniatures for customers and show pieces, writing on my thesis, and finding another part- or full- time job.

FC
Faolan_Conall

Postby Flashhawk » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:41 am

1. Nevermind the pm :)
2. Yes weapons would be cool, but as i wrote i have uncovered the meshes right out of the w3d-files, and so i could include them into each mesh as i go. Of course they are not as canon or TRO-like but that could be taken care of
3. Also yes, Vehicles, buildings, elementals, VTOLS, spacecrafts, dropships, what ever you have i take it with a kiss
4. Sure i will wait for each and everyone, but it would be nice if someone would point every designer to this thread since i dont want to flood your forum with my requests..:)
5. Thanks for the flowers, but i am not 'that' a good guy.. but stealing from the talented to give to the poor-talented is more like a sport to me..:) But this project is serious to me, so i think i have to ask everyone instead of hiring a bodyguard afterwards :D
Flashhawk

Postby YogSolthan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm

I see I'm not the only one from mech3.org to come here.

I had the same idea than Flashhawk. I think your models would be perfect to convert into paper models.
I fell in love with Smoking_Mirror style. As the models are available in a format I can read, I could begin with one of them.
Of course, I won't do anything without your permission as I will understand if you don't give it to me.

If you want to see what a papermech looks like, take a look at our gallery
YogSolthan

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:36 pm

My meshes and textures are available for anyone to use for any purpose. That's why I've uploaded them to a server rather than just post them direct to Derk. There are a lot of projects out there working with the Mechwarrior/battletech universe so any help I can give to people helps to make my time spent more worthwhile.

Feel free to make paper models from my mechs (later I will also be producing some matching weapons).

You will have trouble with some meshes as in parts the meshes intersect, that is, part of the mesh goes inside another part. But you should be able to change the mesh to avoid that problem.

Of course, don't offer the mechs for sale. I don't own the copyright on any of the original designs.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby YogSolthan » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:15 am

Thank you a lot Smoking_Mirror. It's great to have meshes like yours to work on.
I will show you the result of the papermech before making it available. If you think something is wrong, I will change it.

The intersecting mesh is not a real issue, it's quite easy to clean the mesh with metasequoia.

Of course, I won't offer them for sale, not only for the copyright but also because I making papermechs 'cause I like this, not to earn money. My goal is to have as many mechs.

Thank you again.
YogSolthan

Postby YogSolthan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:26 am

I've built it a long time ago but I've just realized I've not posted anything about paper mechs here. So, here is the Hellbringer by SMoking_Mirror conveted into paper.

I've also converted the Striker but haven't built it yet. I've worked on other models (like the Champion, reseen Warhammer, reseen Shadow Hawk, Grasshopper, Wyvern) but they still have to be tested.
YogSolthan

Postby Stormwolf » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:31 pm

YogSolthan wrote:I've built it a long time ago but I've just realized I've not posted anything about paper mechs here. So, here is the Hellbringer by SMoking_Mirror conveted into paper.

I've also converted the Striker but haven't built it yet. I've worked on other models (like the Champion, reseen Warhammer, reseen Shadow Hawk, Grasshopper, Wyvern) but they still have to be tested.

Awesome 8)
Stormwolf

Return to Requests