Revisit 22 - 6 Months, really?

Web log of development issues.

Revisit 22 - 6 Months, really?

Postby adamsderk » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:15 pm

Greetings,

Well I certainly have dropped the ball on letting people know what is happening. :oops:

I am still alive and still working on the game. Real life did get in the way as a newborn decided to be not at all like the previous three and really challenged my sleep schedule.

I have been working on the game as much as possible. It was the realization of just how much had to be done to get vehicles in that surprised me. And for the same reasons, Mechs will go in much faster than vehicles. I had to put in all the weapons just to get started. At this point I have only put in SRMs, Autocannons, Lasers, and Flamers (but all of them). I have also been working on the vehicles themselves. I am putting the finishing touches on critical hits. The nice thing is that they match the rules exactly (I tried to make them like Mech critical hits before). Very satisfying code.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Re: Revisit 22 - 6 Months, really?

Postby SandMan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:25 pm

As always, interested to test the next demo!
SandMan

Postby Duuvian » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:31 am

Hi. Congrats on the newborn. Looking forward to hearing more.

EDIT: Also, Derk, the next time you have a release I recommend you post a link in the Dwarf Fortress Forums -> Other Games back to this forums. The Dwarf Fortress Community is known for being a very good community (although of course there are always individuals who run counter to that) and for being supportive and helpful to games in development, especially independent games.

If you have a newer release soon, I'd highly recommend letting them know as there are a lot of people who would likely be interested in BTS. I really think Bay12 is one of the best moderate sized communities out there.

Here is a link if you haven't heard of them yet: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php
Duuvian

Postby adamsderk » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:01 pm

Duuvian,

Thanks for the suggestion. Life got me really down for a while, but I have come back with solutions to my problems in developing the game. I'm back in and making it much simpler for me to code (i.e. collect the data in a format easy for me [Excel grid] as opposed to the Torque format [object property lists]). I'll spend some time making code to convert the data from grid format to object format. Based on the number of objects that I want in the game, I really should have done this in the beginning :)

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:12 am

Nice to hear you are still working on it.
You really inspired me to learn programming and make my own game.
I didn't think it was possible before, but just a few months later i've made some progress towards my childhood dream of making video games.^^
Keep up the good work.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby Duuvian » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:26 am

Cool, it's good to see you working on it. I wish I could help out more. I'm just more of a sound guy rather than a programming or 3d designer and I'm limited by what I can find on the internet. I hope my sounds helped at least a little. I think I'd need a bigger sound effect library to do what needs to be done to give a Battletech sim justice.

Feel free to ask me to create variations or whatever of various sounds you may want to use. I can do that pretty easily. The biggest problem I had when I tried to help you out was finding existing sounds floating around on the internet to modify to be changed to fit different aspects of BTS. Examples would be metal footsteps and such.

I don't have a studio (although back when I was trying to help you I did have a friend who had one but he sold all his stuff when hard times hit and his family burgeoned and he was being kind of narrow minded about not paying him for studio time when it's sitting there uselessly so whatever) to record new sounds.

For example, if you want a few variations on existing sounds like for different sized ACs, I can do that if you can provide the base sound that you would need anyways.
Duuvian

Postby adamsderk » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:29 pm

Duuvian,

I certainly will look to you for some sounds in the future. I have compiled all of the Total Warfare and Tech Manual data into a single table. I am currently adding all the the "Torque-specific" data. This has ended up with a few neat things.

1. The projectiles are unified along with their sounds. It is also easy to see which sounds are "borrowed" from another weapon.
2. The projectile makes the sound, not the weapon, so all AC bullets sound the same (but the number streaming out is different, and so the duration of the sound is different).
3. The explosion characteristics are easy to compare between projectiles.
And most importantly
4. The Torque code generated does not have to be waded through, so tons of objects in a single file work just fine :)

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Return to Development Blog