Joysticks

Web log of development issues.

Joysticks

Postby adamsderk » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:16 pm

January 11, 2007

Greetings,

The day has come. I have hooked up my joystick and have been able to test it in the system. It took a bit, but I am getting readings from the joystick. I still have to calibrate the various controls (torso twist, torso pan, throttle, and turn), but at least it is possible now.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby adamsderk » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:16 pm

great. has been missing a long time.

nice to see you still messing around btw, keep up the good work

Comment by Fossi — January 15, 2007 @ 1:29 pm

Glad to hear you finally got the joystick code working! It’s too bad that my beta testing didn’t help you more than it did, but it’s good to hear that things are progressing at an alarming rate!

Comment by Technomancer — January 15, 2007 @ 1:48 pm
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby SandMan » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:33 am

Derk,

I know this thread is ancient, but...

I'd like to play BTS with the joystick, since there are some awkward key positions when using the keyboard. I'd also like a new joystick, but I'd like to know the money wouldn't be going to waste. The problem is that the game isn't recognizing any of my keys, or my throttle, or my z axis...

So, the good news? I found a program called Xpadder, which is 100% free, and I'm having tremendous success with it so far. I've mapped my joystick throttle to the mouse wheel, and the z axis to the mouse's horizontal axis (torso twist), and everything feels natural after fiddling with the input refresh rates. And of course the trigger is the left click, etc etc. For the analog fanatics amongst us, this program gets high marks from me... and for Derk, it may solve all of your joystick problems. Well, most of them...

Also, the configurations are easily exportable (there are two files, one for the joystick itself and one for the key mappings). Could I suggest having a download area (or thread) for Xpadder configurations? I don't think any one person needs to chug through all models of joystick, but if everyone who uses one posts their config profiles, you might collect a decent library.

Only issue so far: I'd like the hat to act as the numpad, but I don't know how to make UP+LEFT trigger a distinct key. Derk, is there something you could do on your end to make NUM4+NUM8 be a diagonal jump, since I can't press NUM7 with hat mappings?

//SandMan
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby adamsderk » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:10 pm

Sandman,

Ooo, complicated. I'm not sure. There is a key mapping program, but I don't think it can deal with double keys. Torque was originally a FPS, so my using it to make a simulator is showing its limitations.

So, it might be possible, but I have a lot that I want to do before trying it. In the mean time, is it possible to have the program do double keys, so you push a button and it changes the hat output? i.e. Hat up -> press 8, other key and hat up -> press 9 key.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby SandMan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:30 am

Derk,

I don't know how to do that, but great news anyhow! I had simply missed a feature; the program assumes that the hat is 4-way by default, but you can manually set it to 8-way (if your hat is actually 8 way, of course). Problem solved! Guess I'll have to figure something out with regard to NUM5, but that shouldn't be a problem; I'll just assign it a button of its own.

The only thing kind of bugging me now is that I can't figure out how to make my throttle really a throttle. It doesn't read positions, it simply sets acceleration: up is accelerate, down is decelerate, and the middle is no acceleration. Stopping is rather a pain, so I just assigned a button to it. Works for now, but it's not ideal. I'm still very happy with this keymapping program.

//SandMan
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby adamsderk » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:57 am

Sandman,

Check out the options in the game. There are lots of tabs of various options, key mapping is one of them.

Glad you got it to work for you. Please tell me you have read the pdf that is installed with the game that has all the default key mappings? It should be an item in your start menu program list.

Oh, wait a second. If you haven't gone into the options, then you haven't found the joystick and mouse configurations have you... That might give you what you are looking for.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby SandMan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:16 am

Derk,

The problem is that the BTS keymapper doesn't recognize when I press a button on the joystick, for whatever reason, which is the whole reason I had to hunt down Xpadder. It also doesn't seem to recognize my throttle control, regardles of my selections in the Sticks tab.

//SandMan
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby adamsderk » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:34 pm

Sandman,

Hmm. I can give you the files for keys and controls and you can have a go at it.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby SandMan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:38 pm

Derk,

Yeah, I know it's strange. I suppose this is what I get for not buying a new joystick since highschool. Well, you've got my email address.

//SandMan
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Return to Development Blog