The Campaign Part 7

Web log of development issues.

The Campaign Part 7

Postby adamsderk » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:17 am

Salvage is in.

Sounds simple, but to make that happen, I had to create the code that would price the status of every component in a unit as well as provide a mechanism to fix it if necessary. Since much of the same mechanism is used for repairing and reloading, the next step of the building the Repair/Reload section should go quicker. In addition, the ShowUnitGui had to be expanded to include a "detail view" that will list not only the placement of the equipment on the unit, but also the current status of that equipment, and the ability to repair/reload each piece of equipment individually.

As an example, say you win the match, and there is a mech left on the field that you are thinking of salvaging and repairing. We'll take care of the salvage part now. It turns out that the unit has two hits to the gyro which took it out of commission. Since to salvage the unit, you have to make it mobile again, the gyro has to be fixed in the field. So, first run I need to report to the player what it will cost to repair the components necessary to salvage it. Then if the player selects it, I have to rerun the pricing check and make sure you can afford to make the repairs (you are on a limited budget remember). If you can afford it, then the same function has to repair all of the components necessary to move it. That done, you can add the unit to your list (or if it was one of yours, clear it for repair).

On a development team note, SandMan has volunteered to convert the models the artists provided into BTS ready files and data. He has worked through the Crab with me and is now working on the Stinger all on his own. So, if you see SandMan on the boards, say hi as he will be personally responsible for getting the units into the game (and doing a great job at it).

That leaves repairing, logistics, and campaign results finishing.

'Til next time...
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby SandMan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:50 am

Derk,

As the techs say, any salvage news is good news. And this is indeed great news! Speaking for myself, that's a good 1/3 of what makes these kinds of games so exciting: working your way from a Stinger (check your inbox for that one) to a Shadow Hawk (inbox again) to a Victor (already there =) ) and getting all excited like a kid on Christmas morning when that downed Jag still has a pristine RAC on it... well, that's what fun is!

As for models, if any of you forum dwellers made one and you want to see it in the game ASAP, remember to bribe me extra because then I have to turn around and use a good chunk of that bribe to get Derk to send me the requisite files. I sternly disapprove of anyone cutting out the middle man and bribing Derk directly.

Anyhow, it's so exciting to contribute to something that's going somewhere! Onward, brave lads!
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby Hana Yuriko » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:13 am

Not quite sure I understand how this works. You have to get a 'mech working in order to salvage anything off of it first?
Hana Yuriko

Postby felderup » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:20 am

maybe the mech will have to be moved to a storage area, and usually the salvage vehicles only carry repair parts, unable to carry a mech back, that would explain why it would need to have the critical parts fixed first.
felderup

Postby adamsderk » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:39 pm

Hana,

Felderup has the right idea.

In the Tactical Handbook (pg 20) it says, "Any damage that immobilizes a unit must be repaired before the unit can be salvaged. The victorious player must also spend 100 Repair Pool points to break the security code and disable the safeguards on any enemy Mech he salvages."

You might be thinking about scavenging, which doesn't require repairing anything, just trade it in for cash.

Sandman,

It isn't going to work quite that way, but when I put Merc code in, it will work something like that. Right now, scrap and repair doesn't go to the equipment level, it is just put into and taken out of a C-bill pool. But there are plans down the road to do just that.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby SandMan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:16 pm

Derk,

While I look forward to being able to eventually pull goodies out of enemy 'Mechs and use them myself (for the coolness factor), I think I was too specific in my description. The C-Bill pool is just fine, and arguably more convenient for the player in a lot of ways. With a direct-to-money transfer of all salvaged equipment, I don't have to hunt for 'Mechs with RACs on them if that's what I want. Any equipment with sufficiently high resale value can do the job, and this system still lets me slowly work my way up the tonnage ladder to ultimate glory.
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby Hana Yuriko » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:38 am

OK, I think I get it now. The difference between salvaging a 'mech to use and scavaging parts from one in the field. I'm thinking about stripping the weapons and armor off of a downed unit.

There are vehicles that are specifically designed for carrying 'mechs off of the field. Namely the Supply Truck (or the Dragon Wagon), a large flatbed truck which can carry over 100 tons. There's the Planet Lifter, and related aircraft which can carry up to 75 tons and have a drop-down cargo bay for loading large objects. There's also Engineering vehicles which are designed to carry (or pull) varying weights of equipment. Including designs for carrying 'mechs.
Hana Yuriko

Postby SandMan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:27 am

Maybe in the BT universe, those heavy salvage vehicles are only available to a well-supplied defender? Perhaps this never describes you in BTS? I imagine those sorts of goodies would be expensive, heavy, and slow.

Not making the data points, just fitting the curve.
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby adamsderk » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:28 pm

Hana,

Yep. One of the big issues with BattleTech is that there are significant gaps in between the various books. The Tactical Handbook is pretty old and doesn't include what has happened to BT since it was published. It is even sketchy on some of the stuff that was around when it was published.

The team that is carrying BT now is very good about being thorough, the older team, no so much.

For now, I'm trying to keep to what is published (even if out of date) with minimum interpolation. Once the "real" stuff is in place (and people are interacting with it), I'll look for input on how to "expand" the rules to fill in everything else.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Hana Yuriko » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:19 pm

SandMan wrote:Maybe in the BT universe, those heavy salvage vehicles are only available to a well-supplied defender? Perhaps this never describes you in BTS? I imagine those sorts of goodies would be expensive, heavy, and slow.

Not making the data points, just fitting the curve.

Except for the Planet Lifter aircraft, the trucks and engineering vehicles are comparatively inexpensive. But yes. They are slow moving.

I was thinking that if your unit had access to these vehicles, you could skip the initial repair stage for salvage. Load them up and take them back until they can be restored.
Hana Yuriko

Postby adamsderk » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:09 pm

Hana,

Those would have to be a new type of unit as they wouldn't have a physical presence, just a data modifier.

I will try to remember for the next round of development, but in case I forget, feel free to remind me. :)

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby felderup » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:39 pm

maybe a static model of one at base, as if it's a building.
felderup

Return to Development Blog