The Campaign Part 11

Web log of development issues.

The Campaign Part 11

Postby adamsderk » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:22 pm

Man, I hate this part of development :(

I was actually surprised when I put in the code to put a unit in its damaged state after launching a mission. It took all of half an hour. Most of the code was already in place, I just had to add a flag to block ammo explosions.

But the resource management, ugh.

It was all great when I was putting in this fairly complicated resource management system (repair, logistics and reinforcements) to add a lot of complexity for the player.

But now I have to write the AI code for it. And what's worse is that it is the same AI that will control the player's resources until they advance far enough to do it all. That means that it has to work and it has to work well.

So far I put in random parameters for how the "commander" makes decisions. An aggressiveness level will determine how much they spend each round (if they are winning... losers will always want to use all the credits available for spending). But then I have to figure out how much they need from each money bucket (done). And how much they have to spend from each bucket (done). But then I have to figure out how to spread the available credits over buckets that may have more than they need and ones that may not have enough. And to make it even more complicated the "reinforcement" pool gets converted into the other buckets, but it is only one way, so I don't want the AI wasting money converting it into a bucket that it won't be able to effectively use. It's enough to make your head hurt.

So, like I said, I hate this part of development.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby SandMan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:55 am

Well, ganbatte!

//SandMan (not dead, just busy)
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby adamsderk » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:20 pm

Sandman,

Glad to hear you didn't disappear, I was getting worried.

I'll get the code done, I always do. But I wanted to whine a bit as once it is in place no one will know how hard it was to do. :)

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Return to Development Blog