Models, models, models

Web log of development issues.

Models, models, models

Postby adamsderk » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:17 pm

Greetings,

Well, the big bugs are clearing up for the campaign code and the there is always more work to be done. Since Sandman was nice enough to prep 20 (yes you read right, two zero) mech models, I have only a little work to do to get each one in the game. I have already done 5 and put them up for download through the update.

The updater has shown the same problem as last time which required me to make a patch instead. For some reason, the png files that are the foot prints aren't downloading right.

Fortunately, this doesn't severely impact the game play (just leaves white squares for foot steps). So for now, I'll ignore it. But at some point I'll have to fix it.

So for now, keep checking the home page and see if new mechs have been added. If they have, run the updater to get them.

Enjoy the new mechs, courtesy of Sandman.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Stormwolf » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:51 pm

Nice, so which mechs will we be getting, and how does one "prep" mechs?

And is there any chance for my Broadsword class dropship to be in the next update? :wink:
Stormwolf

Postby adamsderk » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:19 pm

Stormwolf,

For the most part, I have had Sandman work down the Mech List (which I haven't updated after the five I just put in). I have given him a batch of Clan mechs for him to work on, so you should see some of those a little later down the line.

For a model to be put into the game, here is what has to happen:
1. If necessary, make the base texture, primary faction color mask, secondary faction color mask, detail mask, and faction logo placement mask.
2. Import model into Milkshape.
3. Scale model based on size equation.
4. Fix any issues in model (biggest one is splitting the bottom torso into front and back).
5. Move the skeleton to fit the model.
6. Attach each model part to the appropriate bone for animation.
7. Determine required weapon mount points based on all official record sheets for the mech.
8. Make specification file for each variant.
9. Add, move, and/or rotate each weapon mount point required for the chassis.
10. Check animation and fix any issues.
11. Create footprint.
12. Make image for unit specification screen.
13. Export dts for Torque.

Then I get it and I:
14. Generate faction textures.
15. Map the model triangle strips to the damage areas.
16. Check the variants for any issues.

So, Sandman has really helped out the process by taking the first 13 steps. And his work will result in a lot of mechs in the game quickly.

I am really excited about your dropship, but Sandman started giving me the prepped models about two months ago. So I figure I should give his work a little priority.

Since I have some dropship code from an earlier version of the game, putting in yours won't be as much work as from scratch. But, I want to mount weapons to the dropship as well and have it be an AI unit. So, probably a few weeks and then we'll have it to work with in the game.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby AndrewOsis1 » Thu May 01, 2008 1:57 am

Awesome work everyone im really looking forward to the full campaign!
AndrewOsis1

Postby elitewolverine » Thu May 08, 2008 8:22 pm

hello there, well since im working on a model or two (hopefully lots more as time goes on) i wanted to ask you adam about helping where i can...

i have a torque liscense as well (since 05 to be exact) and well i havent used it for anything at all really, it was a venture that well life/divorce made me kinda put on back burner, and buying/switching to new pc (after ex gave my other one away without permission) i just downloaded it again and as well have the 1.4.2 version...

i also have the showtoolpro thing, that i know you can use to check animations textures etc before actually throwing them into your game code...

I know blender has a exporter that i used to check my own animations 2yrs ago...

basically i want to help on each model the most i can, even with animation if possible, im not good at texturing but im sure someone can do that....but i do want to make sure the mechs i make in blender are in a format that is the most easiest to work with....mainly dts i would think...

and as well as having the sdk of torque, im a small coder nothing big, but being that i do have the tools, if there is anything you ever need me to use the sdk for i will gladly try my best to help....
elitewolverine

Postby adamsderk » Fri May 16, 2008 12:30 am

Greetings,

Still here, working my way through all of the models Sandman has provided me. I just put up four more, so update and get them. I especially like the work done on the Reseen Shadowhawk by Smoking Mirror.

Thanks.
Last edited by adamsderk on Fri May 16, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Fri May 16, 2008 12:40 pm

Cool, you mean the re-seen shadowhawk by Smoking mirror right. :)

There a error with the SHD 7M config, in that it's loaded with SSRM2 Ammo but doesn't have a SRM launcher. Otherwise looks good. Also not seeing a preview picture in the mech selection screen for the re-seen shadow hawk in instant action (you know the greyscale picture with weapons stripped?) just a green bordered square. Maybe it's an update problem as my updater is still saying 88 files downloaded when finished, and trying to download them again every time.

Also spotted the Orion IIC, the Mongoose (awesome model and texturing job BTW) and a few others.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby adamsderk » Fri May 16, 2008 5:02 pm

Smoking Mirror,

You know, when I looked at the info in my master file, I kept thinking that it didn't sound right (especially since it had a great texture). I was hoping the real artist would step up. And as you see with the magic of computers I did say it right the first time :)

Thank you for catching the error in the spec file, Sandman is great, but errors do come in. In this case it was because the SSRM2 has to be specified as either vertical or horizontal, which it wasn't. You can update to get the new one.

So, please all the artists, check the mech list and make sure I have given you proper credit.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Stormwolf » Sat May 17, 2008 4:54 pm

W00T! We finally got another Clan mech :wink:
Stormwolf

Postby adamsderk » Sat May 17, 2008 6:35 pm

Stormwolf,

There are five more in the immediate pipeline. :)

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sun May 18, 2008 12:46 am

I've got a few more mechs to add, I've been reworking the textures to make them more uniform.

Two clan mechs which I have to add are the Gargoyle and the Blackhawk.

Plus there's the wolfhound, lancelot and I also finished a Mauler yesterday.

I notice you've already got a Gargoyle, so I won't bother with that one. Mine is an early model and the texture is not great. Cutting up the models and naming all the parts is DULL. So it's often the last hurdle before I submit something.

The Mauler took just a few hours day to make from scratch, but it'll take at least another hour to cut it up.

I have one last inner sphere mech in the pipeline, which is built and just needs to be textured (the wasp-reseen) and I'd like to make two more clan mechs, the Masakari and the Thor.

Also I'd maybe like to make a Rakshasa...
Smoking_Mirror

Return to Development Blog