In a jam

Web log of development issues.

In a jam

Postby adamsderk » Wed May 28, 2008 4:43 pm

Greetings,

It has been a while, but I added four more Mechs (thanks to Sandman). Just to give you an idea, it takes me about 8 hours to prepare a model for the game (more if I have to make the texture), with Sandman's help it is down to 30 minutes.

And, because Sandman really wanted a RAC and sent me a couple units with them, I created the specs for the new weapon (that's RAC2 and RAC5) but it is using the model for the Clan UAC.

This brought me to an issue of jamming. The high rate of firing of the UAC, Clan UAC, and especially the RAC required the downside of jamming. So, I put in the code that will allow you to fire it more often than you are "supposed" to (i.e. before the recharge bar is gone), but the more often you fire it, the more likely it is to jam (all based on the rules in Total Warfare). Since it isn't "damage" per se, you don't have to repair it, but it is out of commission for the duration of the combat.

So, enjoy the extra power, but don't get carried away.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby SandMan » Wed May 28, 2008 6:34 pm

Derk,

That's great! I'd like to point out though, that RACs aren't "down for the count" when they jam. There needs to be a way for them to unjam, as per TW p140. UACs, though, are jammed until they can be repaired.

//SandMan
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Wed May 28, 2008 9:06 pm

Awesome,

From the list I spotted the stinger, trebuchet, shootist and... not sure what the fourth one is.

I've now got a way of very quickly texturing a mech, so if you send me the models for the untextured mechs already in game, or those requiring a retexture I can rush off a set of templates for them.

I've now set it up so you can use a simple base camo sheet for all new textures so that should speed up processing them and creating the faction textures.

I've also got some new mechs to submit soon. Just need some spare time to cut them up. Maybe I can do it this morning as I've been woken up by some kind of public service announcement at 6 AM from the adjacent apartment building. Means I have some time to kill before work.

My Korean language skills are not so good but I think it was saying that from now on the announcement will be made only once a month. Which is nice.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby SandMan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:32 am

Derk,

Any chance we could get a jammed AC to look different from a destroyed AC? Sometimes I stare at the darn thing and wonder "Is it destroyed? Am I moving too fast? Am I counting too fast? KHAAAAAAAN!"

Thanks,

//SandMan
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby Hana Yuriko » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:04 am

There needs to be a way for them to unjam, as per TW p140. UACs, though, are jammed until they can be repaired.

Read further. It also says ACs can be unjammed if the 'mech has a hand on the opposite arm like the Enforcer and Centurion.
Hana Yuriko

Postby SandMan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:19 pm

Hana Yuriko wrote:
There needs to be a way for them to unjam, as per TW p140. UACs, though, are jammed until they can be repaired.

Read further. It also says ACs can be unjammed if the 'mech has a hand on the opposite arm like the Enforcer and Centurion.

That's not in Total Warfare. What source are you referring to?
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby Hana Yuriko » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:33 am

SandMan wrote:
Hana Yuriko wrote:

That's not in Total Warfare. What source are you referring to?

Might be in MaxTech, then. I KNOW I read it somewhere in one of the rulebooks. Basically it takes one turn and a Piloting roll to unjam any AC as long as you have a 'mech with hand. Right hand unjams a weapon in the LT and LA sort of thing.
Hana Yuriko

Postby adamsderk » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:40 pm

Hana,

Not in MaxTech, just a section about rapid firing normal ACs.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Hana Yuriko » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:07 am

<-- Has too many books...

I know it's in on of the books because I was discussing the optional rule for MegaMek with Torren (one of the code monkies for MegaMek/MekWars).

OK here we are...

MaxTech Revised - Combat Section, General Rules/Expanded Critical Damage

Last paragraph on page 13:

A jammed ballistic or artillery weapon may not fire. The jam can be cleared if the 'Mech in question has a functioning hand actuator and spends one turn clearing the jam rather than moving or attacking.

No piloting rolls or anything like that. You just stand there for 10 seconds clearing the weapon to fire again.
Hana Yuriko

Postby adamsderk » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:56 am

Hana,

Wow, good find. Always love it when you chime in.

While it is for expanded critical damage, the spirit of it does line up with the TW rules and overfiring.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Matti » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:39 am

Total Warfare, ROTARY AUTOCANNON, p. 140 wrote:A player wishing to clear a jammed a rotary autocannon (see Rapid-Fire Weapons, p. 114) during a game must declare in the End Phase of any turn that he or she will attempt to clear the weapon in the next turn. During the turn in which the player is attempting to clear the weapon, the unit that suffered the jam must stand still or expend Walking/Cruising MP (the unit may not run/flank or jump). The unit also cannot make weapon attacks (including TAG attacks or spotting for indirect LRM fire, though all other electronics, such as C3 and Guardian ECM suites, operate normally).
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Matti

Return to Development Blog