Demo 13

Web log of development issues.

Postby elitewolverine » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:58 am

adamsderk wrote:Sandman,
Now, I haven't played MW3, but I figured that you should put the blue circle over the target and fire. Isn't that "where you have to fire in order to hit?"
--EDIT--
Oh, I get it, in MW3 you would fire into air and hope you hit, where in BTS you actually get to put the reticule over the target, but your reticule has moved.

Thanks.

? no in mw3, when you added a targeting computer, a little lead circle would appear to show you where to fire indirect shots at, and this included aiming at specific parts ie head or legs...no matter what you choose the aiming circle adjusted itself to allow huge advantages over not having one especially on those fast 100kph+ mechs...

its basically like the lead indicator on a modern jet fighter plane for certain munition types, ie dummie bombs or machine guns etc...
elitewolverine

Postby SandMan » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:37 am

adamsderk wrote:Mechs can turn freely in the air, but at a rate in line with the rules. I agree they do not have the "flexibility" that is described in the fluff.

Derk,

I can't seem to find anything in the rules that limits a jump's turn rate. But since turning while jumping costs 0 MP, I would think it should be pretty fast. S7 Gamemaster's book p46 (2.5 second turns, no cost to turn while jumping) basically says a 'Mech should be a able to twirl in the air over the course of a full 10 second turn.

If you look at CBT: RPG rules, with 5 second turns, there's still no cost to turn, meaning that a 'Mech should at least be able to pull a 360 over the course of a 10 second jump.

Also, these rules don't say anything about this turning causing you to change course. I think that if you increase turn rate (as above) and keep jump direction constant, you'd start to see the flexibility that's always ascribed to JJs.

Thanks for hearing me out,

//SandMan
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:47 am

Yeah, in BTS the whole reticule moves to show where you are going to be firing, In MW3 and in most flight sims I've played, the reticule remains static, but a second indicator is added which ghosts your target, showing where to put your reticule if you actually want to hit.

I think both are viable, The BTS version actually gives a much more integrated feel, where as the MW3 version does feel like what it's supposed to be, an add on piece of equipment.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby adamsderk » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:26 pm

Sandman,

Yes, based on S7 rules a mech can turn up to 180 degrees in 2.5 seconds (in CBT you wouldn't spin more than 180 as it would be shorter to go the other way). I had missed the "no cost to turn" in the S7 rules, so I used 180 degrees in 5 seconds which is double the CBT rules.

So, I need to increase the turn rate by 2 to get the S7 speeds. But turning doesn't change your jump direction now, so why did you mention it?

Smoking_Mirror,

Glad you like the reticule, I think it works well too.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby felderup » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:34 pm

i now wonder, perhaps, the jets propel you up, and you can turn, after the jets finish the acceleration burst, but turning while accelerating would destabilize.
felderup

Postby adamsderk » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:21 pm

felderup,

Nothing like that in the rules (unless you know of something :) ).

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby SandMan » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:26 pm

Derk,

That's odd, because for me (BTS 13.00 fresh install)...

1) Turning my legs changes my jump direction.

2) I can only turn 180 degrees over the full 10 seconds.

3) (not directly related to topic on hand, but possibly relevant) I get no jump sound or particle effects when jumping

Any idea what's up? I'm going to do a fresher fresh install right now; if the clock reads more than 15 minutes from time of posting when you see this, you can assume that nothing changed.

Thanks,

//SandMan

Edit: Nope, nothing's changed. Updater keeps telling me I need 42 files though. Needed 43 the first time, so I guess only one of them came down properly.
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby felderup » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:31 pm

just, thinking of possibilities, something that might work in the real world, that could be carried over.
felderup

Postby adamsderk » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:53 pm

Sandman,

DON'T DO THE UPDATER. I'm guessing that you are forcing it because it is set to not allow the update. Only the 13 and 13.00 patch.

I'll check the rest.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:23 am

Yes, for me too there are no jump effects. Just a case of Yogic flying I guess...

Also I get the same issue when turning in mid air. Instead of my inertia carrying me forward in a straight line, I get the same as when I'm on the ground, i.e. changing the direction that I face changes my inertia to that direction. So that if I was able to turn 180 degrees during the jump, by the time I reached the end I'd be traveling back towards where I started at full jump speed.

I'm liking the new jump set up though. It's great to be able to "boing!", do a nice sidestep jump, or fly straight over someones head.

I even managed to do a DFA yesterday on a destroyed mech in instant action. ^-^
Smoking_Mirror

Postby SandMan » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:00 am

Derk,

My jumping problems were there before and after the update attempts, but thanks for the heads up. How will we know when it's kosher to run the updater again? Sounds like Smoking_Mirror is seeing the same things as me.

//SandMan
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby adamsderk » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:40 pm

Sandman,

I got a chance to check it out, and "Man, it's not supposed to do that!"

For most purposes you should not force an update. If you do the normal update, then it will only update if the version of your system is less than the server. I also have a switch that stops normal updates (like it is set right now).

So, it is safe to do the update, just don't force it. Another way would be to look at the site home page as I will put what is new in the update there.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Development Blog