Demo 13.01

Web log of development issues.

Demo 13.01

Postby adamsderk » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:50 pm

Greetings,

Well, my release of demo 13 was obviously a bit premature (i.e. absolutely no testing). So I'm going to give it another try with a patch for 13.01 available on the downloads page. It needs to be installed on a clean install of Demo 13 (although you are free to try it without reinstalling).

I have "fixed" the jump jets to work as described. I have also moved the jump keys to the number pad as the pdf file will show.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby SandMan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:26 pm

Let the bugtesting resume! I'll test this plenty tonight, and let you know if I come across any issues.

//SandMan
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:52 am

Jumping now works great. The noise is a little loud and anoying, but that can change later.

Being able to just hit jump once and sail off to where I need to be is great. Being able to halt my flight by hitting jump again is even better. I only had a few minutes to test it this morning whilst getting ready for work so I didn't see iff you can arrest your fall by hitting jump a thrid time, which would be nice. My Javelin got pretty banged up in the legs during the test, but I did manage to take out a crab single handed. Once you get behind those guys they've got no chance.

Of course most battles will be group battles so it won't be so easy to flank a slow moving enemy, but in one on one battles the AI is toast if he doesn't have any LRMs.

I'm still having trouble with the campaign crashing after the jumpship selection, or more acurately, simply freezing and failing to go in to the mission.

This could well be a software or hardware problem with my computer though as it's getting a bit full up with stuff these days.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby SandMan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:23 am

Smoking Mirror,

Yes, you can tap the jets a third time to allow for a graceful landing. This is an important ability, because it means that Assault Drops could actually be coded into the game, and that most of the work has already been taken care of on the 'Mech's end. You would just have to be spawned in the air (or on some platform/ship in the air), and then you could walk off of the ship and then tap the jets when you found a good compromise between "I don't want to be a pancake" and "I don't want to be a sitting (floating?) duck." And Assault Drops would pretty much rock.

(Plus, it saves you if you accidentally kill your jets, which is easy to do if you're near the apex of your jump and you want to come down. And CBT agrees that you can't hurt yourself with jump jets during normal operation).

Derk,

I had a couple of ideas with regards to the jump jets, awesome as they are now (no, seriously. Combat useful. There's a reason JJs give a humungous Battle Value boost).

1) What if torso facing was your reference direction, rather than leg facing? (eg, NUM8 would jump you towards your reticle, always). I think this would make it a lot easier to send yourself where you want to go (my legs always end up pointing in some inconvenient direction, and it's hard to line them up perfectly where I want to go without a lot of back-and-forth).

2) What if the second tap, to come down early... could glide you down in another direction? This would actually make it possible to jump around a corner (like you can in CBT), but since it's just on the way down, it still preserves a lot of the graininess of what you're looking for in a CBT JJ (jumps are as straight as possible). It would also make it a lot easier to jump up onto a building without worrying about ramming it (jump straight up, clear the building, tap to glide forwards on your landing).

Let me know what you think,

//SandMan
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby adamsderk » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:49 pm

Sandman,

For 1, sure it's just a minor update.

For 2, nope I still go on a quote on the CBT forum from the developers that said, "Jumping is in a straight line, these are Mechs not Apache helicopters."

Smoking_Mirror,

If your crashing problem is from my terrain generation, I'm working on it, if not, then well, you know.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby SandMan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:39 pm

Derk,

For 1, is that the kind of change that's going to have to wait for a patch?

For 2, :D I knew you wouldn't like that one, but I had to try. I'm actually pretty happy with the way JJs work.

Smoking Mirror brings up a point about sound: I think maybe a more constant sound would cut down the annoyance factor. I actually think that most of the sounds are too loud (or that a few important ones are too quiet, take your pick =). If the volume was boosted on AC sounds and footsteps (that's the important one), it would probably bring them more in line with the rest, and then I could turn the volume down on everything and feel they were all at a good level.

//SandMan
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby adamsderk » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:23 pm

Sandman,

1. Yep, it is in the engine.

2. I figured :)

I haven't even tried to work with the sound, other than to throw stuff in to show that it can be done. Torque has 3-D sound, I just have to figure out how to control it.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:08 pm

Yeah, I only mentioned sound to be complete.

That's something for down the pipeline. Like better special effects, smoke etc..

Speaking of which, I'm soon going to be working on some stock special effects (explosions and smoke) for an animation. Maybe some can be used for BTS. Can Torque handle halos or are we limited to objects with transparent textures? How about animated billboard sprites?
Smoking_Mirror

Postby felderup » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:14 pm

ooh, tv's showing in the partly destroyed buildings with comstar news or something.
felderup

Postby adamsderk » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:53 am

Smoking_Mirror,

Torque handles particles in its own special way. It doesn't really apply to any other system. It is script driven though, so if you want to download the Torque demo and learn Torquescript, you could create the special effects (and I'd appreciate it).

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:48 am

Ah, well, best if I stick to modeling then. I was thinking about doing the effects because I have to do some for my Animation anyway, so i thought that with a little effot they can be reused. However, if it requires a completely different system, I think maybe I don't have time. Blender particles are very easy to use and the special effects are not going to take very long for me to make.

I'm still working on modeling and I'm going to have a stab at trying to export some animations, but beyond that I think someone else will need to give it a try.

The current list of Nearly finished units I have is;
Daishi*
Warhawk
Gladiator
Thor
Loki
Uller*
Wolfhound
Re-seen Wasp
Champion
Flashman
Clint
Vindicator
Whitworth*
King Crab

And also the Gladiator from TRO3075, not a clan mech, but a Draconis combine mech from the age of war, you can see an old wrecked version of it on the front of the "jiad" source book.

*already availiable, but I needed them for the animation, so I went ahead and modeled them. Maybe you can use them for upgrades or replacements.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby felderup » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:09 am

i'm thinking, ballistic weapons, instead of hearing them perfectly clearly, mute it a bit, and have the chassis rattle instead. oh great, i've got another brilliant one, the sound of the weapons, they're more of an echo from the ground and objects, suppose that the terrain determined the amount of volume of the returning...chatter, so, the chassis would rattle regardless, but the sound from the barrel would be attenuated by the environment. well, i doubt torque can do echoes well enough, it was just a wild thought.
felderup

Return to Development Blog