Balance

Web log of development issues.

Postby adamsderk » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:51 pm

SandMan,

When I have enough changes to the engine to warrant the work to release it. Once I put in the constant additions (like damaged joints) and the single additions (like running into a building) as well as the actual fall and getup process, I will put out a new version since the rest will be script changes.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:02 am

I'm probably being a little dense, but why do you get a risk of falling from just moving? In clear terrain, there should be zero risk, correct?

Ben

ps Glad you tracked down that terrain gen bug. I never did find it when I was looking for it.
Ben

Postby adamsderk » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:13 am

Ben,

You are not being dense. There isn't a chance of falling when moving over clear terrain. However, I need a "system" for piloting. Think of it as background that is easy to control until things get damaged. Also, the player can easily keep the Mech balanced during "normal" movement. Think of it like a car, there is cruise control, but if you don't correct for the direction you will crash. In the game your balance is off center and if you don't correct for it, you'll fall.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby adamsderk » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:27 pm

Greetings,

Arrg. Well after almost a month of banging my head against the programming wall, I finally got the fall and getup animations to work in the game. So now, on a fall, the run animation stops, the fall animation (which is called "drop" and is more like a sit down) runs, when the animation finishes it lets me know, when "balance is restored," I activate the getup animation, when it finishes, I freeup the movement and away you go.

So now back to adding the details of the balance system. I put in damage this morning, but still need to add all the balance modifiers.

Before someone asks, no you cannot activate a stand up before you are back in balance (inside smaller circle) and the stand up is activated automatically. This is currently for two reasons, first, I don't have to do anything special for the AI, second, I don't have to put in all the code to determine if you fall again. Like anything else, this could (and probably will) change in the future, but for now it is good enough.

So when do I put out a new version? Well, obviously I have to finish the balance system (including an auto-balancer for novices and AI). And I want to get the terrain generator or rather drop point selection process fixed as that is a major stumbling block for the campaign.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby SandMan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:07 pm

That's good news! I assume you've got a new skeleton to throw into all the 'Mechs with the new fall and get up animations? You know where to find me when it's time to update the models.

So was the terrain generator related to everyone's campaign crashes, or was that just something I dreamed up / wishful thinking?

//SandMan
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby adamsderk » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:18 pm

Sandman,

The skeleton is the same, but two new animation sequences have been added. Right now only the Archer has them (my test model). I'm holding off to see if Smoking_Mirror comes up with a good animation set in Blender.

The terrain generation, or rather the nav point selection is what is causing the crashes in the campaign. Certain seed numbers end up without valid nav points and I don't have a fallback in the system, so it freezes. Before I started the balance system, I had made quite a bit of progress in generating the terrain before starting the mission which should give me, and the player, more control over the locations. I.e. the player, if attacking, can select a drop point even if it isn't flat since there aren't any buildings that have to be placed.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:24 pm

Well, I pretty much have a working export template. I still need to add a couple of animations (the fall and get up are yet to be added because I couldn't test them).

Soon I'll post an example exported model for Derk to test, and also the exporter template with instructions on using it so we can work through the models to get them in game.

I'm also looking at this as being a good time to add the damaged model for each mech. Doing so is easy as it only needs to run a script and then use a command to shrink faces to "skinny up" the mesh to make it look more like internal structure. The texture can be easily produced at the same time as all the other base textures just by adding an extra PNG overlay.

Derk may not want to implement it yet, but I think it's best if the model is there so it can be implemented later (the code would however need to be added to hide that part of the model).

Good news on the break through Derk, I've got a lot of models to add, including some buildings. I think this project is about to get really good. ^-^
Smoking_Mirror

Previous

Return to Development Blog