Thanksgiving

Web log of development issues.

Thanksgiving

Postby adamsderk » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:46 pm

Greetings,

Well I was hoping to get a release for Thanksgiving, but I just can't release it knowing of an annoying issue in the engine.

The balance system is in place, the AI have been trained to use it and minimize their falling. The terrain generation is validated before starting the mission which means that the terrain can be shown before launching (but the display needs some work, but it is in script). Falling is in, as well as a toggle that keeps Mechs without the animation from running in place when they fall and getup.

The last issue for me is an annoying bug that is caused by the network traffic. Because of rounding (I think) there is a jump in the balance correction about every second which causes a stutter in the display. Now it is small and you can play around it, but it is just bad and makes the whole thing feel fake. So, I'm going to invest the little bit more time to get it fixed and then wrap it all up for delivery.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:06 pm

Awesome.

Best to get rid of the bugs first. Hope it's not too difficult to correct the issue.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby SandMan » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:04 am

Great to hear that things are going so well (mostly)! So is this something that only happens in multiplayer network games?

//SandMan
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby adamsderk » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:45 pm

Sandman,

The way Torque is set up, even single player is really multi-player with a client and server.

I did figure out how to fix it, I had 8 bits per balance number and when I upped it to 12 bits (10 wasn't enough) the resolution was sufficient to stop the jumping.

Now, I just need to wrap it all up.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby YogSolthan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:50 am

It's great to hear that you prefer release it later to correct the remaining bug. Your work is really awesome. Thank you all.
YogSolthan

Return to Development Blog