Wrapping Up

Web log of development issues.

Wrapping Up

Postby adamsderk » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:08 pm

Greetings,

You might wonder why it takes me a while to actually wrap up a demo and get it to the Web.

When I compile the engine during development, I use a debug version that has a bunch of extra code to help figure out mistakes. When I go to make a demo, I instead make a release version which is much smaller. Now, it is supposed to be identical to the debug version, just without the extra stuff. But occasionally, there will be a problem that doesn't chow up until the release version is compiled. In this case, all of a sudden, the buildings were showing up as target-able objects in the hud. It turns out that some logic ended up being wonky (which worked before so I'm not really sure what happened). I just found the code location, ok, 6 locations, and changed them. Should work now.

And then there are the things that only show up after I delete all the preference and temporary files. I found that on the terrain preview, the nav point identifiers are clumped in the middle instead of being where they are supposed to be. I'm not sure why, but this is something that should be fixable in script, so it goes on my list for updates.

So, if you haven't checked the home page, Demo 14 is ready for download. It is a complete new install (sorry for those with slow connections). Oh, and read the keyboard layout, you'll fall if you don't.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:39 am

OK, awesome.

Now time to add animations and new mechs I guess. Also have some buildings which just need finishing up.

I've got two more months here in Korea before I have to go back to the UK. At that point it's going to be difficult for me to do anything for a while (for various reasons) so I'll try and post as much stuff as I can before the end of January.
Smoking_Mirror

Postby adamsderk » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:20 am

Smoking_Mirror,

Sounds good. Hopefully I can figure out how to do your animations in that time.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Return to Development Blog