Update 14.01

Web log of development issues.

Update 14.01

Postby adamsderk » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:37 pm

Greetings,

Now that I can use the updater again... :)

I have put in the check for player unit selection in Instant Action. I have changed the damage display to only compute over the armor level (instead of armor and internal structure). I have added sparks in the areas that have internal damage. And I have added a smoke plume for 20 seconds after a Mech/Vehicle is killed.

I'm not 100% certain that the particles (sparks and smoke) will work over the network, but I think that I last left them with the ability to send them over the network.

Thanks.

P.S. You can test the death smoke by getting an external view of your unit and pressing "c."
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby BATTLEMASTER IIC » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:35 pm

Awesome! Thanks for making those changes :)

On some models, it seems that the shading as damage is taken doesn't work. I was shooting at a friendly Crusader and Wolverine standing still. They will show internal damage, but the armor doesn't get darker (I was using the Clan Wolf skin).
BATTLEMASTER IIC
BATTLEMASTER IIC

Postby adamsderk » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:48 pm

BM2C,

That is weird. Does it work with other models? If you play again with those two models do they still not darken (sometimes there is a bug in just a specific mission)? Does it happen on the first mission you play, subsequent missions, or all of them?

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby SandMan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:13 am

The sparks are cool, and so is the sound. They don't seem to be localized though (the whole 'Mech sparks when there's internal damage, not just the damaged location).

(whisper: jump jets still aren't going the full distance and height, but... whenever)
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby BATTLEMASTER IIC » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:54 am

I've been shooting at enemy light 'mechs even after they have been destroyed and parts of them turn shades of black still.

I tested it again this time and it seems fine now. Maybe It was just an optical illusion...
BATTLEMASTER IIC
BATTLEMASTER IIC

Postby adamsderk » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:56 pm

Sandman,

I haven't thoroughly tested it, but I did realize that sparks of one size (i.e. big enough to be seen on a large Mech, would end up being huge on a small Mech. I'll keep an eye on it.

Tell me which Mech you are using for jump tests, because I thought I fixed it.

BM2C,

You are correct, you can still damage a killed Mech. That is due to the fact that during the campaign, your salvage is based on what is left on the field. If you damage a killed Mech, you are just destroying your salvage.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby SandMan » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:26 pm

Derk,

The issue seems to be related to the 'Mech's mass. Here's the test for you:

Using a Victor (Assault), with 4 jump jets I'm only able to go about 100m, when I should be able to go 4*30 = 120m. Jump height looks slightly short changed too, about 23.5, not quite reaching the full 4*6 = 24m.

Using the Hatchetman (Medium), also with 4 jump jets, I get some extra height (about 25m instead of 24) and what looks to be about the proper distance. The ShadowHawkR(5 jump jets) also gave me extra height and about the proper distance.

I hope this helps narrow down the bug. I have no idea myself why jump distance gets cut so much on the heavier designs, though.

//SandMan
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby adamsderk » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:42 pm

Sandman,

It looks like that's the difference between engineering specifications and actual field tests. :lol:

Actually, the real reason is that Torque works on an "impulse" system. You apply acceleration to change speeds, not set the speeds themselves. The environmental factors, mass, air/ground resistance, etc. affect each unit a little differently. I tried to go for a middle ground where lights would overshoot specs, mediums would be really close, and heavies would undershoot them.

So, yes, it isn't exact to specifications but it is pretty close given the engine I'm using. Not a bug.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby SandMan » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:42 am

Bah, impulse should be dependent upon jump jet size, then. Assaults pay 2 tons per jump MP for a reason :evil:

If a 95 ton 'Mech used the same size jet as a 25 ton design, I would agree with you, but instead they use jets with 4x the mass.

//SandMan
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Return to Development Blog