Revisit 1

Web log of development issues.

Revisit 1

Postby adamsderk » Thu May 21, 2009 5:38 pm

Greetings,

To kick things off, I have installed a fresh copy of the engine and am stripping out what is not needed and working in the BTS data.

So I'm starting with the environment (isn't everyone going green lately?)

There are the obvious things like terrain and light, but also other things I didn't do before, like temperature and wind. Now I have the opportunity to separate out and focus on just the environmental factors and get them in place for future game interactions.

I'm looking at terrain with fresh eyes and seeing the traps I fell into. In the MW games, the terrain was pretty flat and kinda boring. With all the FPS games with no cost to run up and down hills, the terrain became extreme and dynamic, and exciting. And I got sucked in. Sure, I started with the BT map sheets and then went crazy with elevation (i.e. the canyon terrain type).

So I'm back to generating terrain again and realize that even on the "mountain" map sheet, the highest peak was 6 hexes high... yea 36 meters, 118 feet; not exactly a "mountain." And then I started thinking about what having flatter terrain would mean for the rest of the development... more flat areas means easier building placement which means more buildings which means more exciting gameplay. Oh, yea, and it makes AI programming much easier.

And one of the types of terrain that I have to do is... no terrain. But instead have a large spherical model for a planet.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Re: Revisit 1

Postby Stormwolf » Fri May 22, 2009 12:40 pm

adamsderk wrote:And one of the types of terrain that I have to do is... no terrain. But instead have a large spherical model for a planet.

Thanks.

I might be able to help you out with that one on short notice.

In a later stage we could make dozens of skins for various worlds, I was thinking:

- Earth like (maybe it would be best to have around 8 to 15 skins for this one)
- Desert planet
- Ice planet
- Tundra planet
- Water with a few islands
- Swamp planet
- Heavy industrial
- Rock terrain planet
- Rock terrain with mining industry
- A moon type planet
- Nuked world (yeah, it's WoB time!)

Additionally I've had tons of overtime at my work lately, but I think that I'd also be able to make more complex models like mechs and other vehicles every 2 weeks or so.
Stormwolf

Postby adamsderk » Fri May 22, 2009 3:45 pm

Stormwolf,

Sounds good. The atmosphere can hide a lot of sins as to the specifics of the terrain :) I'm not sure of how many poys to use, but the texture is limited to 1024x1024 so that will limit how big it can get. I figure it is also a good candidate for LOD with multiple spheres of fewer polys.

One of the neat things with space is that size is relative, so the models can actually be small (as far as game coordinates are concerned) as long as everything is scaled correctly.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Return to Development Blog