Revisit 4 - River

Web log of development issues.

Revisit 4 - River

Postby adamsderk » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:38 pm

Greetings,

I am finally happy with the generated rivers. I changed the code to work on a 128x128 grid and the time went from 12-30 seconds down to 1-3 seconds. That is fast enough to do multiple runs with the code; hello roads.

To give you an idea of how all of this terrain stuff fits together, here is an example.

The red is mountains, orange is rough (11 degree slopes and above), green is flat, and blue is the river. And the beauty is that every seed number is a different combination.

The scale is that the 256 pixels represents 4098 meters or each pixel is 16x16 meters or about half a hex. So every 2x2 grid is equivalent to a hex. For those of you measuring the river, it represents 2 levels deep in the middle. That means that there is a level 1 on each side, so it is 3 hexes wide.

This means that all the green area is open for buildings and roads.

Next is to pick the nav points and draw roads between the three defending points. And deal with bridges where the roads cross the river.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Hana Yuriko » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:22 am

So each "region" as it were is about 4km? That's a pretty good sized map.

As far as buildings go, would you be able to construct cities using parts of a building? For example, if I were to build a single floor of a sky scraper, could you program the game to stack the floors up to make taller buildings?

Or do you need completed structures to be layed out on a map.
Hana Yuriko

Postby adamsderk » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:05 am

Hana,

Using Torque at normal scale would give a map that was 2km x 2km. I felt that it wasn't big enough considering the 1200 meter visual range. Therefore I made everything at half scale to essentially double the distances.

I don't have answers for you about buildings yet. Right now, I'm going to just use a box. Once I get to delve into their behavior, I'll be able to give you better answers.

I am open to suggestions on how destroyable buildings could be implemented with a minimal poly requirement.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Hana Yuriko » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:54 pm

If you need bridges, here are a couple I made this morning. They're both in *.3ds format with textures at 1024x1024 rez.

Two models.
- stone bridge (solid object, 1 map) 344 triangles
- metal bridge (3 parts. 2 maps) 52 triangles

http://lizzy777.googlepages.com/bridges.rar
Hana Yuriko

Postby adamsderk » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:07 pm

Hana,

Thank you, those will do very nicely. Now if I could just get the roads to stop running down the river :)

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:48 pm

I really like how you've done the rivers, they look very natural. Any thoughts of how to add bigger bodies of water to the maps? Would they be placed similar to the woods and roughs, etc? Perhaps with a requirement to be attached to the river, if there is one?

Ben
Ben

Postby adamsderk » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:46 pm

Ben,

Bigger bodies of water are rare in the maps. While they can be done, unless hover or naval units are used, they don't make for a very fun terrain. I will leave big bodies of water to "water worlds" where naval battles can take place.

However, on wide rivers (i.e. deep), sharp turns tend to turn into little lakes.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Moses » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:36 am

i think they would make sense, mechs can also opperate underwater, slower movement, reduced visible range, reduced laserrange, and disabled projectile wapons, missiles could act as some kind of torpedos, thats quite a fair deal for beeing not detectable by radar from outside when being completly under water.

but i remeber i read some rules for underwater opperations but dont know actual witch book it was
Moses

Return to Development Blog