Revisit 6 - Bridges

Web log of development issues.

Postby Hana Yuriko » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:23 am

Here's a simple brick wall. I made it out of hexes with 4 corner pieces to create a simple square shape. Along the edge of each piece of wall section are the damage tabs you mentioned in your post. Almost 650 polygons total for a single destroyable wall.

http://lizzy777.googlepages.com/wall.rar
Hana Yuriko

Postby adamsderk » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Hana,

Very cool. But it is actually too detailed. My damage locations will be a vertical block (Mech bounding box) pushed through the walls, so vertical differentiation will be difficult (except between multiple levels). This wall could be just three sections; middle and two ends.

The tabs weren't quite what I was envisioning. To keep the poly's down, I saw them as... let's see if I can describe this. Take the edge of the wall and add another set of vertices to divide the thickness of the wall in two. Then take those and pull them out making a wedge that extends from the wall. The wedge would be hidden when the wall section was matched up with its neighbor, but exposed when the neighbor was gone.

I have started on my version of the building (crude to say the least), I'll try to get an example up next week if you are willing to have another go at it.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Hana Yuriko » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:09 pm

That's fine. That wall section took about 15 minutes and the texture was stock image. I wasn't exactly sure what direction you wanted to go in, so I just meshed together that one object.
Hana Yuriko

Previous

Return to Development Blog