Revisit 7 - Building Collision

Web log of development issues.

Postby adamsderk » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:40 pm

Ben and Hana,

Upon very close examination of the rules, there is one sentence about moving onto a building as if it was a hill up to the allowable level (2 for Mechs and 1 for vehicles).

Hmmm. How to deal with this?

Well, unless someone can come up with a real creative way to implement this, I'm going to put it in the "simplified for roleplaying" category. This includes such rules as "all Mechs can do a full torso twist."

I can see how a Mech with arms "could" climb a building (although it certainly would do damage, but not in the rules). But how would a "Locust" climb a four story (2 level) building? or a tank drive on to a two story (1 level) building? I just think that rules flies too much in the face of reality to be able to remotely implement.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:42 pm

That was my leaning as well. It's just one of those things that is too abstracted in the board game rules. I was just looking for the official word :)
Ben

Postby Hana Yuriko » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:49 am

Some rules translate well, some don't.
Hana Yuriko

Postby adamsderk » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:13 pm

Ben and Hana,

Ah, the rules elucidate. It turns out that while you are "supposed" to use Total Warfare alone, certain things make more sense when you look at the rule set as a whole.

While progressing in my building implementation, I moved from the "basic rules" to the "advanced rules" that are in Tactical Operations. Low and behold the answers to our two questions are there.

1. Moving from ground to level 2 rooftop for Mechs and level 1 rooftop for vehicles has been removed. The expansion is climbing for Mechs, protos, and infantry. So, I can remove the ability for vehicles to "jump" to the roof tops and choose not to implement climbing :)

2. Firing weapons inside a building and not at a target is considered "attacking the building from inside" and all the normal rules apply. Why would you want to? Well, with the advent of armored buildings, attacking from the inside bypasses the armor protection and damages the structure directly.

So there you go, the answers were in advanced rules.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Development Blog