Revisit 11 - Damage Texture

Web log of development issues.

Revisit 11 - Damage Texture

Postby adamsderk » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:09 pm

Greetings,

Yea, woo hoo :D :) :D :)

I got damage textures in the engine. Now there are limitations of course, so here is the setup.

There is one damage texture per model that uses the same uv coordinates. It is displayed as a semi-transparent layer over the base texture. It is actually a second render pass so it has the possibility to slow down drawing, but shouldn't be much. The level of transparency is based on the damage level; i.e. not visible with no damage and completely covering the base texture when full damage. There is currently only one damage level per model, so it works great for buildings, but not Mechs. I'll have to figure out how to split it up like the previous version to show localized damage levels.

At the same time, I modified the collision code for the building to make sure a collision occurs no matter what the bounding box issues may be. "He shoots... and scores."

So, other than making the "town generation" code, I am about to leave buildings (and bridges) behind and move on to the next object. The Mechwarrior in me says, "Mech, Mech, Mech" but it is probably better to start with infantry and move my way up. That way I have the possibility to scale things up for the bigger units (like make each point of Mech armor 10 points of infantry damage, or something like that, like capital armor relates to Mech damage). I also have not "completed" the terrain and environmental code, so I will have to revisit that to finalize it at some point.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:14 am

Good to hear about the damage texture, I think that will really add to the game.

If you use a low res image it shouldn't slow things down much. I think I left one around the forums somewhere...
Smoking_Mirror

Postby BATTLEMASTER IIC » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:10 pm

In addition to a damage texture, will hit locations eventually be deleted from a model when they are destroyed?
BATTLEMASTER IIC
BATTLEMASTER IIC

Postby adamsderk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:16 pm

BM2C,

Probably not but it will be explored. A few issues are: arms are easy, but how to animate walking when a leg is blown off? The models will have to have significantly more polys to allow sections to be removed without making holes. Currently the collision is the bounding box, one of the ideas is to add model level collisions, which would be better if sections disappeared.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby BATTLEMASTER IIC » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:19 pm

I was thinking that for the leg animation, you could do like what the developers did for single-legged 'mechs in MW2 31st Century Combat.
BATTLEMASTER IIC
BATTLEMASTER IIC

Postby adamsderk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:25 pm

BM2C,

My recollection was that they just stood there and could rotate, but not move. That goes against the rules that allow 1 MP. By keeping both legs, the walk just slows down, but only one leg means some kind of hopping animation. Possible, but complicated.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby fennec » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:03 am

I wonder if a mech has ever managed to walk on one leg, without killing itself with fall damage first.
fennec

Postby BATTLEMASTER IIC » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:27 am

I've managed it in CBT numerous times :lol: ... Only to get it shot dead in the next two turns (another knockdown then the kill shot).

I've always wondered how a one-legged 'mech could walk 1 hex per turn. I think it's a bit of a stretch to get a 100 ton machine to hop on one foot and clear 30m in 10 seconds.

Then again it's CBT fizzikz :P
BATTLEMASTER IIC
BATTLEMASTER IIC

Postby SandMan » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:30 am

BATTLEMASTER IIC wrote:I've always wondered how a one-legged 'mech could walk 1 hex per turn. I think it's a bit of a stretch to get a 100 ton machine to hop on one foot and clear 30m in 10 seconds.

At roughly 2m in height, I can hop 1m on one foot quite comfortably. I can hop about twice per second, so I can then go about 20m in ten seconds without straining (tested this just now).

Now, how is a 12m tall robot supposed to have trouble with 30m in ten seconds? Assuming humanoid agility, that kind of stride could really carry you. So let's add a safety factor. Even if you assume a ridiculously small hop for the sake of balance (3m, which is about one 'Mech foot length), that's a solid 30m right there. Not much of a stretch if you ask me.
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby Hana Yuriko » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:14 am

That and there is an incredibly high failure rate for trying to hop on one foot (for a 'mech).

I'm somewhat surprised that mechs don't crawl. I can't think of any rule aside house rules that allow such an action.
Hana Yuriko

Postby SandMan » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:03 pm

Hana Yuriko wrote:That and there is an incredibly high failure rate for trying to hop on one foot (for a 'mech).

I'm somewhat surprised that mechs don't crawl. I can't think of any rule aside house rules that allow such an action.

TacOps p20
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby Hana Yuriko » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:21 pm

Good to know. I don't have that book (yet).
Hana Yuriko

Postby SandMan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:03 am

They're well worth the money. They contain a lot of rules for things that make a lot of sense, and have been seen in the fiction, but are just too in-depth for tournament play. I don't use them on the tabletop, but they add a lot to my megamek experience.
For Davion!
ImageImage
SandMan

Postby Stormwolf » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:44 pm

SandMan wrote:They're well worth the money. They contain a lot of rules for things that make a lot of sense, and have been seen in the fiction, but are just too in-depth for tournament play. I don't use them on the tabletop, but they add a lot to my megamek experience.

Same here, I always activate every single Tacops feature in Megamek whenever a new release hits.
Stormwolf

Return to Development Blog