Revisit 13 - EPIC, towns, and projectiles

Web log of development issues.

Revisit 13 - EPIC, towns, and projectiles

Postby adamsderk » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:50 pm

Greetings,

I have some really good news. Last week I got an email from a person who was surprised to see an item in my "help wanted" section on the main Website. Wait, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Cast your minds back (or read my "About" section) to a time when I tried to build a cockpit to play Mechwarrior. I started out by hardwiring buttons into a keyboard controller, it worked, but was clunky. Then I found the EPIC card. It was a piece of hardware that interfaced between the computer and a myriad of buttons and dials and even had the option to control lights and number leds. Times were good, until I realized that I would never get the game to control the cockpit. That led me to develop my own game, and here I am. But there was always a chasm ahead of me, how to actually get Torque to talk to the EPIC card, scary stuff. So I hoped someone with much more knowledge then myself would do it for me :)

So back to that email... Well, it turns out it was from the software developer for the EPIC card. Who knew BattleTech reached so far :) So I'd like to introduce "awger" who has also agreed to be the Linux compiler.

So the short news is... it will be possible to actually turn BTS into a physical simulator :D :D :D

On to other topics. I'm working on town generation (i.e. more than one building) and realized that I need to put in all the scripts to pass the mission information to the server so it can generate the mission and terrain. Since I had it in my old scripts it was really straight forward. The reason I needed it was to be able to know where the nav points were located (I've put them into the terrain now). I have built up larger buildings from the individual building block. I also just put in a check to make sure it doesn't put buildings on roads. Since a picture would explain a lot more...

And yes, they are randomly generated, I do still need to tweak the code so the towns aren't "squares", but more organically laid out.

The other issue I "discovered" as I thought about infantry was how projectiles work "inside" buildings. Torque doesn't expect projectiles to be inside so it considers it a collision; boom before it gets out of your gun. Torque does have inside objects, they are just DIFs and they are permanent; no destruction. So I have to play with the projectile collision code, to behave differently when inside buildings.

That's it for now.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Stormwolf » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:26 am

Looks good so far, I could make some nicer looking generic buildings to fill the town.

I've been out of commision for a bit since I had a lot of project at my job and my computer died a while back.

But now I've got all my stuff installed again and I'm ready to get back into the game.
Stormwolf

Postby adamsderk » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:27 pm

SW,

No problem, sorry about the difficulties. I have added an entry for buildings in the "Development Rules" section with the texture template to use.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Re: Revisit 13 - EPIC, towns, and projectiles

Postby awger » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:47 pm

adamsderk wrote:So back to that email... Well, it turns out it was from the software developer for the EPIC card. Who knew BattleTech reached so far :) So I'd like to introduce "awger" who has also agreed to be the Linux compiler.

[/lurk]

<waves>

[lurk]
awger

Return to Development Blog