Revist 19 - Infantry Gui

Web log of development issues.

Revist 19 - Infantry Gui

Postby adamsderk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:21 pm

Greetings,

So I've moved from game play to informing the player about the gameplay, i.e. the interface. It came down to three things; 1. how much life is left, 2. where are my enemies, and 3. when can I fire again. There are a couple assumptions, 1. the reticule which includes target range and CoD and 2, the 3D weapon shows the selected weapon.

I actually started with 2 (enemies) because I thought it would be easy :) Well, it was supposed to be, I was just pulling the three circle thingy from the previous version and putting it in the center of the screen and making it lots bigger. So it overlaid the actual scene... dismal failure. It was hard to see, hard to use, and just looked lame. So I left it alone and went on to 1 (life). I really liked the circle in the center so I wanted the life bar to follow the curve. While it isn't following it exactly, it's pretty close. And each soldier is represented by a box that is filled in if they are alive. So you can start out with as many as 30 little boxes.

That accomplishment brought me back to 2 (enemies) because 3 (fire time) would be easy as it was a mirror of the life bar. One of the original ideas was to have an arrow on the edge of the screen that would point to each target. But that destroyed the circular concept I was going for. So I put the two together and have arrows that move on the edge on a large circle pointing in the direction of the target. I can use the same colors (green:enemy; red:selected; yellow:nav; blue:friendly) to designate multiple target types. Of course there is no "arrow" so I am having to draw a triangle rotated the proper amount. And of course wouldn't you know it there is a "line" draw and a "rectangle" draw, but no "triangle" draw. So that's my current project. Oh and before you tell me that you just draw three lines; I did that. It's filling it in that isn't straight forward. :)

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:00 am

Could you just use a bitmap of a triangle instead of drawing it in engine?
Ben

Postby adamsderk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Ben,

I probably will if I can't make it in openGL. I just don't like the lack of scaling for screen resolution. Small images get blurry on high resolutions and large images use extra processing on low resolution.

And as a follow up, I have the weapon recharge gui in place and am working on the nav and friendly display. Then on to adding Hana's motorized infantry model and then the code for the mechanized infantry.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby adamsderk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:51 pm

Update:

It turns out the openGL commands to fill a triangle were absurdly easy; set the color and specify the points as a polygon.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Return to Development Blog