Demo 15

Web log of development issues.

Demo 15

Postby adamsderk » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:22 pm

Greetings,

I finally got the new game to a point where I feel comfortable having people mess around with it. It has the beginnings of terrain generation, interactive buildings, and all the regular infantry (foot, jump, mechanized, and motorized).

I have removed links to the game guide from the site as I need to re-do it to just include the current features, but do read the pdf that comes with the game as it has all of the currently available keys for the game.

I am now at a point where I can really use some programming help. I'm also ready for final animations and models textures for the infantry units. If you are interested, please email me. The SVN is set up and will make it much easier to collaborate.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby fennec » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:13 am

Neat.

Are AI opponents high on the list to do?
fennec

Postby adamsderk » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm

Fennec,

AI is not high on the list. I am putting it lower because I feel that it is an appropriate job to delegate to another programmer. I am focusing on getting the core game components in place (i.e. have all the units have appropriate parameters). If the AI isn't done by then, then I will have the entire picture to look at when I start "educating" them.

Thanks.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Re: Demo 15

Postby Hana Yuriko » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:44 am

Just tried out Demo 15. Movement feels really, really sluggish. Not sure why you decided to go with throttle movement for foot infantry though. I don't know anyone with a throttle installed. It doesn't feel like I'm running at 6mph, or even a 12mph sprint. Also there's no left and right strafing movement which could be viable since Infantry don't have facing movements in the board game.

Mechanized infantry didn't seem to work, although a bunch of silly looking hovercraft had loaded (They're too small! Double their size!) so I couldn't try out the vehicles.
Hana Yuriko

Postby adamsderk » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:11 pm

Hana,

The infantry movement is really slow (moving a piece with 1 MP is really painful in the PNP game as well). I figure that infantry will be confined to the towns where they don't have to move long distances. The throttle is a bit silly for them. For the keyboard arrow, I'll switch it to on or off for infantry. The 1-0 keys throttle will still work if someone wants to use them (as well as a hardware throttle).

The speed is accurate, but based on your experience with "super speed" games (pretty much all of them). and the size of the view (if I make the view narrower it will seem faster), it does feel slow. But I don't expect people to use infantry much (if at all). The vehicle movement is more what one would expect from a game.

Infantry are small. Once the vehicles and then mechs are in, their relative size will feel better.

Thanks for playing.
adamsderk
Site Admin

Postby Smoking_Mirror » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:05 pm

Hi, I've finally started to learn programming (only python) and my own AI experiements seem to be shaping up quite well.
Maybe I can share my experiences, once I've got the AI polished.

So far I have an AI that can track a player, circle them and aim their torso and weapons.
I've got a second state if they enter an urban area, similar to A*, but jut usung a regular grid of nodes.

I've got torso tracking, as well as slow/ variable tracking for missiles.
I've also got a set up to get the feet to conform to the ground surface when walking (so it doesn't look like the mech is floating) but I think it requires an IK skeleton to work.
http://www.youtube.com/user/pickledtezc ... fXE04vaVFc

Of course, I'm using a different game engine and maybe a different programming language so I don't know how much useful stuff i can share.

On the modeling side I've got some jump infantry with textures (64*64) and 220 triangles.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w249 ... ew_man.jpg

and a whole bunch of vehicles which share a single 512*512 texture.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm_3usub5bw
Smoking_Mirror

Return to Development Blog